Evektor Harmony elevator jammed

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

zaitcev

Evektor Harmony elevator jammed

Post by zaitcev »

CTLSi

Re: Evektor Harmony elevator jammed

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

CTLSi wrote:
This is on the other pilot sites too. It was due to a diabetic CFI who had a portable pump in his pocket that fell out and jammed the elevator. I claim this is a good example why sport pilot self-med-fitness is a laugh. This guy should not be fllying.
Why? There are diabetics who hold class 3 medicals. If well controlled and monitored, even the FAA agrees the condition poses little risk to the safety of flight. The fact the instructor had his device with him (I doubt it was actually a pump, looks more like a blood sugar tester) shows that he's probably serious about controlling his diabetes.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

CTLSi wrote:
This is on the other pilot sites too. It was due to a diabetic CFI who had a portable pump in his pocket that fell out and jammed the elevator. I claim this is a good example why sport pilot self-med-fitness is a laugh. This guy should not be fllying.
And on the other sites that point of view is also getting rightfully lambasted.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

how about using something a little more recent...
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/he ... s_insulin/

You've argued some pretty weird things, but this takes the cake. This really has nothing to do with diabetes or medicals. It's about stuff in the cockpit that can cause problems. It could have been a cell phone or a ball point pen.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Not calling names.

But this absolutely takes the cake for missing the point.

The point is: beware loose objects in the cockpit.

Of any kind. iPhone. iPad. Glass case. Flight computer. Hockey puck antenna*.

The type of object in this case has zero relevance to the lesson put forth.

But you want to use it to promote some agenda.

It's transparent, and you're getting called out on it on every site you care to argue it on.

Ever think it may be you?

*One of which did, in fact, cause a fatal accident in an aerobatic plane when it jammed the controls.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

At the risk of diluting the important message about the dangers of objects in the cockpit, I must respond.
From the FAA website, updated April 2014:
"The FAA has established a policy that permits the special issuance medical certification of insulin treated applicants for third class medical certification.
Consideration will be given only to those individuals who have been clinically stable on their current treatment regimen for a period of 6-months or more. Consideration is not being given for first or second class certification. Individuals certificated under this policy will be required to provide substantial documentation regarding their history of treatment, accidents related to their disease, and current medical status. If certificated, they will be required to adhere to stringent monitoring requirements and are prohibited from operating aircraft outside the United States."
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Roger Lee posted the FAA guidance for certifying a diabetic on the CTFlier forum. BTW, it appears that even insulin-dependent diabetics can get a third class (but only a third class) medical, provided their lab results put them in the reference ranges. As for many serious conditions, there is a Special Issuance (SI) process that must be completed.

It's a FAR cry from absolutely disqualifying.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

and they specifically state:
(Note: Insulin pumps are acceptable.)
dave
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

CTLSi wrote: . . . "This is on the other pilot sites too. It was due to a diabetic CFI who had a portable pump in his pocket that fell out and jammed the elevator.
. . . "I claim this is a good example why sport pilot self-med-fitness is a laugh. This guy should not be fllying." . . .
Total nonsense.
You are not an authority on such matters?
Last edited by Wm.Ince on Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

I always was concerned about control interference. For this reason I never leave things like batteries outside of zipped pockets of my travel bag, which is strapped into the airplane. In a 172 that's the rear seat and belt. In my Carlson I use cargo tie-down loops that the builder thoughtfuly installed. Unfortunately, in a CT that means bag must go into the baggage compartment. Fortunately, CT also offers a covered compartment under your feet. It's a very nice feature to control dangerous clutter. I also carry a belly pack, which contains items like a cellphone and vallet, which could otherwise fly out of my pockets, and it helps on airplanes other than CT line.

Of course this confirmation bias makes me collect stories like this Evektor video. At least nobody died in this one.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

zaitcev wrote:I always was concerned about control interference. For this reason I never leave things like batteries outside of zipped pockets of my travel bag, which is strapped into the airplane. In a 172 that's the rear seat and belt. In my Carlson I use cargo tie-down loops that the builder thoughtfuly installed. Unfortunately, in a CT that means bag must go into the baggage compartment. Fortunately, CT also offers a covered compartment under your feet. It's a very nice feature to control dangerous clutter. I also carry a belly pack, which contains items like a cellphone and vallet, which could otherwise fly out of my pockets, and it helps on airplanes other than CT line.

Of course this confirmation bias makes me collect stories like this Evektor video. At least nobody died in this one.
One nice thing about the CT line is that all the controls except the rudder pedals are pretty well sealed up. I'm careful not to let things roll around on the floor that could get jammed behind a pedal, but other than that there is not much worry in the cockpit. HOWEVER, that is not at all true in the baggage bay. All the control linkages are exposed back there, and there is plenty of room for mischief for loose items back there. My airplane is missing the the fabric partition to the tail too, so items could even roll back into the tail and affect W&B or jam in the tail controls.

For the baggage problem, I bought some cheap motorcycle cargo nets, and everything in the baggage bay goes under the net, the net's hooks are attached to the tie down rings, and is then strapped down with adjustable bungees in an X configuration on each side's four tie downs.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI