Pipistrel Panthera Spin Test

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

Merlinspop

Re: Pipistrel Panthera Spin Test

Post by Merlinspop »

CTLSi wrote:It's acrobatic if you exceed the placarded loading limits of the aircraft.
Where do the FARs say that?
MrMorden wrote:So a week ago when I *very* abruptly nosed down my airplane to avoid a turkey vulture, in a way that I found completely abnormal, I was briefly an aerobatic pilot? Cool!
But while you 'intended' to avoid the vulture, that maneuver was in the heat of the moment so it was 2d degree aerobatics and not aerobatics in the First Degree.
- Bruce
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

CTLSi wrote: It's acrobatic if you exceed the placarded loading limits of the aircraft.
I have never seen that put forth as a definition of "acrobatic" (or "aerobatic", which I think is the correct term).

Do you have a source?

I ask because it sounds wrong. Made up even. As you defined it, if I fly my Sky Arrow at 1,321 lbs (which I don't) I'd be guilty of "acrobatic" flight, which I think is absurd.

edited to add: I just saw your interpretation. I think its wrong.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

CTLSi wrote: . . . "It's acrobatic if you exceed the placarded loading limits of the aircraft." . . .
By your definition, if you inadvertently encounter clear air turbulence in your CT, that exceed the placarded load limits, that is considered acrobatic?
Sorry partner . . . can't buy that.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Merlinspop wrote:
CTLSi wrote:It's acrobatic if you exceed the placarded loading limits of the aircraft.
Where do the FARs say that?
We'd see a lot of destroyed aerobatic airplanes if you needed to over-limit an airplane to do aerobatics in it.

I'd call that less "aerobatics" and more just "rotten piloting". :lol:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Acrobatics is performed by a acrobats. Like the people who perform in the circus.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

3Dreaming wrote:Acrobatics is performed by a acrobats. Like the people who perform in the circus.
Earlier in this thread I would have agreed with you, but having read through a handful of ACs and FAR paragraphs (none of which refer to exceeding placarded limits), I've found that the FAA uses "aerobatics" and "acrobatics" interchangibly. They should settle on one.
- Bruce
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

drseti wrote:And I have a personal policy wherein if the pilot is wearing a parachute ... I don't fly with him or her!
I hope you do not extend this boycott to helmets, because once I installed my DC headset into K-10 helmet it became too much trouble to take it out, and so I fly Skyhawks in a helmet now.

Also, in some cases chutes are mandated by the operator. I ran into it twice. Once it was in Japan. Apparently everyone is required to wear one in a glider over there for some reason. Other was when Don Simington was wearing one in his Texan (made me wear it too). Don, however, said: "When I order bail out, you bail, but I'll stay. I have too much put into this airplane."
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

zaitcev wrote:
drseti wrote:And I have a personal policy wherein if the pilot is wearing a parachute ... I don't fly with him or her!
I hope you do not extend this boycott to helmets, because once I installed my DC headset into K-10 helmet it became too much trouble to take it out, and so I fly Skyhawks in a helmet now.

Also, in some cases chutes are mandated by the operator. I ran into it twice. Once it was in Japan. Apparently everyone is required to wear one in a glider over there for some reason. Other was when Don Simington was wearing one in his Texan (made me wear it too). Don, however, said: "When I order bail out, you bail, but I'll stay. I have too much put into this airplane."
I was watching a young lady assist a gentleman put on a parachute prior to a ride in a Stearman at The Flying Circus several years ago. Once he was rigged up, she began her briefing on using the parachute with, "If for any reason you find yourself outside of the airplane..."
I couldn't stop laughing for about 5 minutes.
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

Pete, I wear a helmet on my motorcycles at all times. I haven't worn a helmet in an aircraft since my Air Force days. Would bring back memories, I'm sure!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:Pete, I wear a helmet on my motorcycles at all times. I haven't worn a helmet in an aircraft since my Air Force days. Would bring back memories, I'm sure!
In all honesty, if all pilots wore helmets it would likely save more lives than parachutes ever did. But they are uncomfortable and look dorky in GA aircraft, so it won't happen.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
drseti

Post by drseti »

We all look dorky anyway, Andy. Wht's the issue?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote:We all look dorky anyway, Andy. Wht's the issue?
Some dorkier than others:

Definitely the Professor, but unsure of the vintage.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

CTLSi wrote:Heck if you are gonna put on a helmet in the cockpit, why finish the job and stick on a wet suit for water landings, or maybe set of riding leathers for road burn...
Because maybe...head trauma is far more likely than hypothermia or road rash in a plane crash?

I guess bicyclists should wear wetsuits, since most wear helmets? :?
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI