Are you prepared for the fire?

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

Jack Tyler

Are you prepared for the fire?

Post by Jack Tyler »

As most of you, I'm catching the frequent updates spilling out of the Oshkosh event and its surrounding airfields. And I've noticed several 'off airport landings' (aka: semi-controlled crashes) being reported in the last couple of days where each resulted in the a/c catching fire. This was, for me, a good reminder that solving an unexpected problem in the air doesn't end when the a/c stops moving. While we do sometimes fly longer distances that include pretty unforgiving land, even some of our local flying out of Jax, FL takes us over swamp, forest and 'bush' where there's no one nearby. And for me, that means being able to immediately exit the a/c quickly if I'm able AND still having my basic survival gear with me when I'm safe from the fire. The sudden nature of a fire erupting from a crash precludes digging around in the baggage compartment.

Since I'm revisiting this issue for my own purposes, I thought I'd mention it here as well. Especially given where some of you fly - e.g. out west and in the southwest. 'Pre-flighting the a/c' should probably include addressing this issue for most of us.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
MrMorden

Re: Are you prepared for the fire?

Post by MrMorden »

Jack Tyler wrote:As most of you, I'm catching the frequent updates spilling out of the Oshkosh event and its surrounding airfields. And I've noticed several 'off airport landings' (aka: semi-controlled crashes) being reported in the last couple of days where each resulted in the a/c catching fire. This was, for me, a good reminder that solving an unexpected problem in the air doesn't end when the a/c stops moving. While we do sometimes fly longer distances that include pretty unforgiving land, even some of our local flying out of Jax, FL takes us over swamp, forest and 'bush' where there's no one nearby. And for me, that means being able to immediately exit the a/c quickly if I'm able AND still having my basic survival gear with me when I'm safe from the fire. The sudden nature of a fire erupting from a crash precludes digging around in the baggage compartment.

Since I'm revisiting this issue for my own purposes, I thought I'd mention it here as well. Especially given where some of you fly - e.g. out west and in the southwest. 'Pre-flighting the a/c' should probably include addressing this issue for most of us.
The only way to ensure you will have survival gear when you need it after an airplane mishap is to have it attached to your body. If flying over hostile terrain, a vest with pockets holding your most essential gear is probably the best bet. All you have to do is get your own butt to safety, and your survival gear comes along for the ride.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA