Power plant and dams

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

MovingOn

Re: Power plant and dams

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

[quote="MovingOn"]I post the things I do and the responses I give because I am the only person here willing to post a more liberal position. Almost all other posters here take a more conservative approach. Whenever I post my positions I get attacked. I never said I had a vast amount of hours. I have more hours than many here and less hours than many others. All of my time is in light single and multi-engine aircraft. I posted I had been flying 50+ years because I have. I started flying in 1963 and it's now 2014. And I did post that I am an "expert" because that's what you become when you become a CFI or gain lots of relevent experience. If not, maybe you should not be flying. I think most CFI's are considered "experts" as are airline pilots. I would not climb in the back of an airliner if I didn't think the Captain and First Officer were experts. That doesn't mean I have all the answers or am always right or can't make a mistake. And I'm certainly not as proficient as I used to be or even as many low time, more current pilots. How many of you don't think you are an expert in your chosen profession if you have more than 10 or 15 years experience at it? Would you go to a doctor or hire a lawyer who you did not think was an expert in their field? I think your definition of expert must be different than mine.[quote]

I will agree that most who earn a CFI are knowledgeable at that time, but it takes much more than earning the certificate to be an expert. I will also agree that most working CFI's should be considered experts. My issue with calling all CFI's experts is that I have seen way to many that are CFI's, that shouldn't be allowed to hold the certificate anymore. I know one who hasn't flown in over 15 years, but is still a CFI because he goes to the 16 hours of training every 2 years. Speaking of training every 2 years, one of the times I have been really concerned in a aircraft was flying into a small airport for a CFI renewal clinic. There was a sky full of these experts arriving at the same time. There was a handful of us following procedures, and the rest (75% or more) were just doing what ever they wanted. There was even one who landed the wrong way into oncoming traffic. After sitting in several of these renewal clinics over the years the numbers of CFI's that I would consider experts is pretty small. I have even seen some presenters offering information that was years out of date.

Sorry for the off topic rant.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MovingOn wrote:This is another reason that supports what the FAA is doing. They are marking an area on the charts and requesting that we don't loiter in that area.
I have no problem with the FAA marking things on the map, it is all the thing that they want you to stay away from that are not marked that I have a problem with. The NOTAM dealing with power plants has been out basically since 9/11. The FAA has not changed the way that they are marked. The areas that they are marking are not the areas with power plants or dams. They are other areas of national security. We had one in our area for a ammunitions plant. If you look at the map that was posted it is for some kind of test facility.

Also take a look at the area where the glider pilot had his problem. There is no indication that there is a power plant there that he needed to stay away from. http://vfrmap.com/?type=vfrc&lat=34.403 ... 19&zoom=10
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Yes, I'd rather have an "Avoid" warning rather than deal with unintended issues.
Still... everything just seems to get more and more restricted!

Take a look at Florida airspace lately?
I'm going to have to watch the YouTube video on "Understanding Florida Airspace" before I even begin to contemplate flying there!

SFRA is another example of enough regulation to keep a lot of pilots away.
Let's face it, unless you deal with SFRA on a regular basis it's a hassle, it's stressful and it can be distracting to actually flying the airplane.

AND let's not forget the Grand Canyon. Flight procedures are so voluminous and restricting that you either fly on an aerial tour plane or stay away.
Last edited by designrs on Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Here's another new "Avoid / Contact Flight Services" surrounding Camp David.
It used to be just the small center that was prohibited.
The larger perimeter was not designated at all unless it was an active TFR.

Now it's a larger "Avoid / Contact Flight Services" area.
(Seems to be a popular trend these days.)

Isn't that enough that the area officially goes TFR as when occupied?

Not to mention that there is one airport in that area,
and two airports very close to the parameter.
Guess they are supposed to contact flight services and check every flight?
Attachments
c-dav.jpg
c-dav.jpg (143.83 KiB) Viewed 4775 times
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

MovingOn wrote:But that's not an avoid area at all. It's just a warning to make sure you check the notams about the P and R area. You should do that before EVERY flight anyway.
My bad… thank you for the correction.
Well, eating my own words a bit… that warning makes sense.
(feeling more humble… just a little bit. LOL)
designrs

Post by designrs »

Going on to TFR's… of course the regulation is check "all available information".

Has anyone been caught by surprise where a TFR did not come up on ForeFlight?
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

MovingOn wrote:That's not to say they wouldn't put up a TFR when the POTUS is there, I don't know about that.
It always goes TFR when POTUS or guests are there.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

In my opinion the size of the TFR for POTUS is just crazy, and I don't care which side is in office. It has a dramatic effect on aviation and the economy. When he comes to Chicago it shuts down many small airports, most general aviation, all flight training, and even model airplanes. That is a big deal for an industry that has always struggled financially, and it is an even bigger blow if it is a nice weekend.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.