Power plant and dams

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

MovingOn

Re: Power plant and dams

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

The THREAT perceived by the public, authorities, EMS etc from a small plane isn't the same as that perceived by those that fly those small planes. Hence, the threat is terroristic.

This is the reason the plant folks, in the example with the glider pilot, perceived the 'oddly circling glider/small plane' to be a possible threat when in fact it was less of a threat than a fuel powered small plane. They didn't know that. Neither did they know that the helicopters flying around were actually working FOR the plant. No matter, to them, that any of these aircraft wouldn't have caused much damage.

Similarly, the small plane that strays into the SFRA around DC causes government building evacuations. Where the actual plane, there for whatever reason, is still a very low threat in terms of possible damage with regular explosive devices, the 'perceived threat' is much higher and therefore basically terroristic.

The request to avoid certain airspace areas is based more on these perceptions, even if they are erroneous to those more knowledgeable in the aviation community, and thus the 'better be safer than sorrier' outlook drives the chart requests and rules requesting pilots avoid certain areas.
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

Jim Stewart wrote:
Richland.jpg
SPECIAL NOTICE ... FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, PURSUANT TO 14 CFR 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, OPERATIONS WITHIN THE TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE OF THE U.S. THIS IS A RESTATEMENT OF A PREVIOUS ADVISORY. PILOTS ARE ADVISED TO AVOID THE AIRSPACE ABOVE, OR IN PROXIMITY TO, SITES SUCH AS NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS, POWER PLANTS, DAMS, REFINERIES, INDUSTRIAL COMPLEXES, MILITARY FACILITIES AND OTHER SIMILAR FACILITIES. PILOT SHOULD NOT CIRCLE AS TO LOITER IN THE VICINITY OF SUCH FACILITIES. WIE UNTIL UFN

People still use them as checkpoints. Don't loiter and don't descend lower than any chart legend requiring a minimum altitude.

Attached is the VFR sectional over the Hanford Project in Washington State. The plant and stacks are a operating 1.3 gigawatt nuclear reactor.

Jim,

Where exactly did the above quote come from? Was is on the sectional? Did it come from somewhere in 14 CFR 99.7? I have been unable to find it.

Thanks,

Randy
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

chatty.JPG
chatty.JPG (95.75 KiB) Viewed 5005 times
As you can see from the above clip of the Atlanta sectional, the Nuke just to the North East of Chatty is used a a VFR check point. There is nothing on the sectional to indicate that it should be avoided. This thread has taken an interesting detour, but the reason I started it in the first place was to try and get a grip on how, as a fairly new pilot, I somehow missed the special security notice. I joked about it when I trained out West near several active MOAs, but the last thing I'd want to see as I cruise along in my Ercoupe is an F-16 wagging its wings at me!
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

hirschr wrote:
chatty.JPG
As you can see from the above clip of the Atlanta sectional, the Nuke just to the North East of Chatty is used a a VFR check point. There is nothing on the sectional to indicate that it should be avoided. This thread has taken an interesting detour, but the reason I started it in the first place was to try and get a grip on how, as a fairly new pilot, I somehow missed the special security notice. I joked about it when I trained out West near several active MOAs, but the last thing I'd want to see as I cruise along in my Ercoupe is an F-16 wagging its wings at me!
If you are flying an Ercoupe with an F-16 in formation, that wagging of the wings is just instability of the F-16 at the stall...you can disregard. :D
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

hirschr wrote: Jim,

Where exactly did the above quote come from? Was is on the sectional? Did it come from somewhere in 14 CFR 99.7? I have been unable to find it.

Thanks,

Randy
Go to the FAA NOTAM page....https://pilotweb.nas.faa.gov/PilotWeb/
Click the tab marked "NOTAM Functions" and then click "View Special Notices"
Search the page for 4/0811. That's the same NOTAM restated.

I'm wondering if they could make it just a little more difficult to find... :roll:

EDIT: I went into Duats.com and did a couple flight plans, including one that would take me within a few miles of a nuclear power plant. I could not get Duats to show me that NOTAM no matter what I did.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

Thanks Jim, found it!

But it is good to know I can ignore any F-16 becuase it is about to stall.... LOL
designrs

Post by designrs »

Go ahead, Make My Day!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 4917 times