Power plant and dams

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

MovingOn

Re: Power plant and dams

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Nomore767 wrote: Unfortunately, aviation is complicated.

Has this horse been beaten to death yet? :D
It is all very complicated. My suggestion is to comply, but not simply acquiesce where we believe there is overreach. Educate, communicate, lobby, appeal to your congress-critter, or even sue if necessary. In the glider case, I wonder if the AOPA volunteer for that local airport had made an attempt before all this happened to get into the Sheriff's office, make a presentation on the GA, and open lines of communications. Had the Sheriff more information about glider ops, weights, and procedures and was possibly familiar wtih what's on the Sectional in his county, maybe he could have "de-escalated" earlier.
- Bruce
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

MovingOn wrote:I can post my opinions also.
Absolutely.
- Bruce
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

MovingOn wrote:Anyway, I will continue to express my opinion when and if I feel like it.
And I will encourage you to keep doing so, even when I know you are wrong. :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

When all you have is politics, everything looks political.

I encourage everyone to look at the topic of this thread and see if there's even a hint of politics contained therein.

If there is, I sure don't see it.

Back on topic, there have always been Wildlife Areas where it is requested to stay above 2,000' AGL:

I don't worry too much about it being regulatory or not. Being a "go with the flow" sort of guy, they ask politely and I just do it.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

MovingOn wrote:This thread is definitely political. It's a question of FAA authority and how they do their jobs. Most of the issues concerning a government agency have a political element whether people recognize that or not. Your political leaning influences your opinions on these issues.
FAA authority is granted by legislation. Today we are polarized one side favors big govt and the other side opposes it. This situation should not prevent both sides from questioning the abuse of power granted.

This discussion only becomes political when your attitude is pro big govt, right or wrong, powers granted or not.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

MovingOn wrote:Or it becomes political when your attitude is cut taxes, cut services, cut everything to protect low tax rates for the wealthy. It goes both ways.
Please show where on THIS thread the above occurred.
- Bruce
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

MovingOn wrote:Or it becomes political when your attitude is cut taxes, cut services, cut everything to protect low tax rates for the wealthy. It goes both ways.
There has been no discussion here of cut taxes, ..., cut everything. The opposing position has been to question if the FAA is overreaching and your response is that it is political to question the FAA's authority.

Your cut everything argument is a straw man, not unlike when you call me racist out of the blue.
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MovingOn wrote:How hard is it to understand this stuff? For our national security, just avoid these places. Fly your little LSA's somewhere else. You people who complain about this stuff will be the first and loudest to complain when a terrorist flies an airplane into a nuclear power plant. You would also be the first to complain if they all showed up as restricted areas the next time the charts are issued. There is just no pleasing some people.
Sometimes really hard. Unless you are flying in your own backyard how do you know a power plant is coming up. Most power plants are simply marked as obstructions on the sectional, even the nuclear plants. The same goes with some TFR's they tell you that they are there, but don't really tell you where there is. I remember after 9/11 there being TFR's for 10 miles around nuclear plants. The only problem was they wouldn't tell you where the plants were, so you could keep the separation.