The "Extra" Price You Pay for an ANR Headset!

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

drdehave

The "Extra" Price You Pay for an ANR Headset!

Post by drdehave »

Yesterday, en route to Lodi, CA, for my daily $35 hamburger, I felt an abrupt harmonics change--but couldn't hear any SOUND change, through my new LightSpeed Zulu2 headset.

But, when I started the engine back up, to leave--which I always do before putting on the headset, the exhaust roar made it clear: I had blown out the exhaust, someplace! I pulled the cowling off and found a quarter-sized hole in the #1 Cylinder tube, and that hole was close to blow-torching some serious damage into some nearby fire sleeve!

Based on this, I'd say...just remember, there is a price to pay for good, Active Noise Reduction (ANR) headsets: You can't hear, when things are going wrong with your baby!

You guys probably knew this already. So, why didn't you warn me?--before I bought a $900 headset? Just kidding...I assume this is a well-known "price you pay..." issue.

Rich
Last edited by drdehave on Fri May 09, 2014 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
Merlinspop

Re: The "Extra" Price You Pay for an ANR Headset!

Post by Merlinspop »

Sometimes you can hear the change for just an instant as the ANR processes the new signal. So when you hear something that "ain't right", it's worth it to lift the earcups off your head for a second to sample the "raw data". It's also not a bad habit to periodically turn off the ANR part periodically, just to check, and some recommend you go so far as to turn it off before any significant throttle change (and leave it off for TO and Landing).

Good catch and glad you caught it before that flight home.
- Bruce
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

I wonder if a exhaust/header wrap would have protected you from the impending disaster. I'm told it keeps heat from affecting some nearby parts, and could also provide some protection from exhaust leaks. I've heard that you shouldn't worry about the wrap masking problems, as the (extra) sound is unmistakable. My first CT had header/exhaust wrapped, but my current one doesn't. I'm thinking about having it done.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Yes, I've wondered about that too. Actually, the fire sleeve was doing its job pretty well--and was a long way from becoming an issue. The only thing totally gone were some cable-ties.
_____

Rich
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Header wrap will protect your hoses, wire insulation and to a slight degree under cowl temps, but it will shred if the exhaust breaks. A tiny hole in the exhaust pipe will create a tiny hole in the wrap.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
toolman

Post by toolman »

I installed some US mil-surplus CEPs in my DC headset, it is as quiet as wearing marshmallow earplugs and muff hearing protectors but the radio/intercom audio is as clear as wearing earbuds at your kitchen table. They work by not destroying but just damping the sound I would assume I would hear a big change in engine/airplane noise. Additionally I don't need batteries and by buying ebay/mil surplus and the ports from an electronics place I did the whole DIY install(with an extra pair of ports for another headset) for under $80 vs the best price for ANR is $159 for the retrofit kit.
The CEPs make a Cessna 172 feel almost as quiet as a jetliner and really reduce the noise stress that hits me in my back after about an hour. I feel like I need every advantage when communicating in non-English with tower and VFR ATC.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

A hole in the cylinder sounds expensive! :cry:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA