Reasons for using VFR Flight Plans and installing ADS-B out

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

dstclair

Reasons for using VFR Flight Plans and installing ADS-B out

Post by dstclair »

I went to an FAA Safety Seminar on VFR Flight Plans presented by Lockheed Martin Flight Services. I have to admit the main reason for me attending was to fly somewhere with my daughter :D

I admit I have rarely filed a VFR flight plan this century. I have plenty of excuses --- my family and friends know my route and ETA, I'm either on VFR flight following or have the appropriate Center tuned in, I have my mobile phone, I update appropriate parties on revised plans, etc. I also find it bothersome to activate and close flight plans since I have no VOR to receive FSS and I pretty much can't reach them until I'm at 5K or so.

Several 'new to me' things I learned will change my habits:
  • You may open and close a flight plan filed with LMFS via email.
  • Foreflight allows you to open/close/cancel flight plans via the app itself, provided you use the ICAO flight plan template.
  • Starting this fall, you can add your ADS-B out information and your position will be automatically attached to your VFR flight plan in real-time. Obviously useful data for SAR situation. You may also be able to share this data at some point in the future -- wasn't clear on timing.
Just when I thought the VFR Flight Plan was dead :)
dave
Merlinspop

Re: Reasons for using VFR Flight Plans and installing ADS-B

Post by Merlinspop »

Good info!

[Thinking out loud] Most of us are aware of the recent CBP stops. I wonder how many of those stopped were IFR vs VFR and of the VFR flights 'visited' how many of those had active flight plans. If it helps make you appear less suspicious, then that would be another reason (even if not a good one) to file and activate.
- Bruce