What's in your Ditch Bag?

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

Jack Tyler

What's in your Ditch Bag?

Post by Jack Tyler »

Perhaps a good way to introduce this thread is to first invite folks to watch one of Rich's Sting Flight videos...so e.g. just catch a moment or two of this one:

That's pretty tough terrain Rich is flying over. If you were doing that, what emergency gear would you want to be carrying with you? And keep in mind that people often associate the need for emergency gear with mountains, which is misleading. Sure, folks in Eddie's region fly over large dense forested areas in the Appalachians, Rich's footage is from California, and some of us visit that long spine of mountains known as the Rockies. But there are lots of other areas for which an off-airport landing can make a ditch bag very desirable. For example, we've flown over extended areas of Nebraska and South Dakota - and over other sections of the Great Plains - where you might land next to a dirt road but not see a soul for several days. I wouldn't want to fly anywhere in the great Southwest without a ditch bag, as much of that is truly remote country. And even in the 'benign' region near our home base of Jacksonville and in Southeastern Georgia, one routinely flies over hundreds of square miles of Okefenokee Swamp. (Are you relying on cell service to bail you out of such a predicament? You can try to use it. But rely on? Nope).

So what's in your ditch bag?

BTW some backcountry pilots adopt the same practice as military pilots: They carry their ditch bag on their person. If a quick egress from the a/c is needed - threat of fire for example - they don't have to search through a now-jumbled up cockpit for their ditch bag. E.g. my son is able to breathe underwater while escaping a sinking helo, float on the ocean's surface, deploy flares and talk with rescue aircraft all due to what's on his flight suit. This Montana pilot & IP - Jeanne MacPherson - sometimes flies like this when e.g. flying into the Jim Bridger Wilderness Area to land at wonderful Schafer field:

The pic is pretty small and fuzzy but here is a close-up example of what she is wearing:
To offer some perspective on why pilots bother to equip themselves in this way, consider this: Schafer is the location of a seasonal USFS Ranger Station. The rangers based their use pack animals to do trail maintenance and respond to medical emergencies. The only way they are resupplied - basically, food and sundries - is by mule pack that takes two days to reach them from the trail head. Very beautiful but very remote country. How well would I be equipped if overflying that area and needing to land? It's a puzzle Patricia and I keep problem solving...
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
drdehave

Re: What's in your Ditch Bag?

Post by drdehave »

I'm glad you brought this up, Jack. In that latest low run I just made (08/31) down California's Trinity River--to celebrate that brand new drift boat I sank there 26 years ago (...and got 8mm video of it, that I just transferred into THIS new video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyyKP0G ... m3CDM8arRk) I had my survival backpack strapped into the co-pilot's seat next to me. It was probably way overdone (i.e., with more weight than I wanted)--with everything from sleeping bag, food & water, to parts & tools, my PLB, etc.

When you never need any such stuff, it's easy to get lax and not take it next time. But I always try to...

Rich
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

I saw a vest like that, it might be the same vest, on Sporty's, or Pilot Mall, or somewhere. It was made by Doug Ritter.

Doug Ritter has a very cool site: http://www.dougritter.com/ that offers great survival equipment and advice.

I have started putting together a minimalist bag, that I can carry in my briefcase (which is actually a very cool canvas, army green messenger bag).

I have just purchased or already have:

-Doug Ritter's new Pocket Survival Pak Plus
-Mylar Emergency Blanket
-AMK Adventure Medical Kit .5
-Quik Clot
-CAT Tourniquet
-Sam Splint
-Israeli Bandage
-9mm

It all (except 9mm) fits in a nice Molle case that fits nicely in my briefcase or flight bag.

A few of those survival crackers and a couple bottles of water and I'd be good for three days.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Here's a novel thought, whilst we have this 'safety'-related discussion building: I keep a bathroom scales in the hangar next to my airplane.

I always weigh all the stuff I stick in there. And I politely require any passenger to step on that scales before boarding. Then, I can enter all the weights into the Garmin 695 for a meaningful Weight and Balance calculation, before each flight. :roll:
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

I too have a scale sitting next to the plane, Rich. In fact, I'm getting ready tonight for a trip to Montana tomorrow morning and the packing routine is iterative: pack - weigh - then later repack - then reweigh.

Doug Ritter: a name out of the past. Patricia and I helped Doug test 38 liferafts in one 3-day period, in Tucson AZ of all places. It may be in the middle of the desert, but the city has a huge wave pool. Cranked up to the level of 'serious', the waves generated could make many of the testers seasick when inside a raft. Doug has made 'survival' his life's work.

Rich mentioned carrying a PLB. There aren't many survival items in which I would place more importance than our PLB. These days, a simple PLB from ACR - a long-time military supplier of robust survival gear - can be purchased on sale (after rebate) for <$200. Once registered with NOAA, it's like shouting 'Help!' and being heard by the world.

And the more banged up the pilot and/or crew, the more time matters and the less important all the other items in the ditch bag become. A SEAR instructor encouraged us to either stick our PLB in a pocket when flying or put it so nearby that tossing it inside the neck of your shirt before impact would pretty much guarantee you'd exit the a/c with it (e.g. if you smell smoke after the a/c comes to a rest). One good thing about flying an older a/c: Both front and back seats are equipped with ash trays. Remove the flip-up lid of the ash tray and you have a perfect 'cup' in which the PLB can live, inbetween pilot & co-pilot.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
drseti

Post by drseti »

Ashtray - now there's :wink: a name out of the past!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

I used to have a pair of very light, but remarkably accurate fish scales. One read to 50# (which was very handy when packing for airline trips) and the other, I think, read to 20#, but was more sensitive for weighing lighter stuff than the 50# scale. The two of them together, along with a mesh "delicates" laundry bag (for weighing little loose things) were about a pound.
- Bruce
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I advocate carrying your survival gear on you, such as in a vest -- any gear not attached to you is likely to burn up in a post-crash fire or get scattered over the countryside when the airplane breaks up. The downside is that carrying gear on you is uncomfortable, especially if you have a four point harness like my CTSW has. But at least attach your PLB and a trauma bandage to you. You can wear the full vest if you are flying over remote areas, but in reality if you are near anywhere populated when you pop the PLB you are probably going to get found quickly.

In setting up your gear, remember the hierarchy of needs:

You can live three minutes without AIR
You can live three hours without SHELTER (assuming a hostile climate)
You can live three days without WATER
You can live three weeks without FOOD

Air is usually not a problem, but a smoke hood, small O2 bottle or air supply might be handy if it *is* a problem. After that, follow the hierarchy and pack accordingly. You should worry more about water than food, and more about shelter than water (again assuming a climate that is at all hazardous...I fly a lot in Georgia, and in the summer I can get by with no shelter except the clothes on my back and use that weight to carry more water, the next item down in the hierarchy).

As for whether you choose to carry a firearm, it should depend on what you expect to encounter. If you are flying over populated areas it's probably just extra weight (except over Detroit...). If you are over Alaska, carry a high-power rifle or shotgun with slugs for bear defense. Most other places I'd recommend a .22LR pistol or rifle. It can do double duty of feeding you and providing some defense against dogs/wolves/honey badgers/whatever and does not weigh much.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

Oh yeah... and my handheld VHF.

PLB is next on my list.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC