Refueling SOP

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

saintlfd

Refueling SOP

Post by saintlfd »

In another section of the forum, Jack stated,
On a flying day, we put the tank in the car trunk and would stop at the gas station next to the airport to fill the tank. A very short drive later, I used a little fuel transfer pump (grounded to the plane) to fill the tank(s)...
That got my attention because my FBO/flight school simply has me pull the little red wagon over to the low-wing LSA, insert a big funnel into the gas tank and stand there pouring 91-octane from 5-gal plastic cans. When I asked about the static-producing potential of this process, I was told not to worry about it.

Is this process really okay?
DAVE
Nomore767

Re: Refueling SOP

Post by Nomore767 »

Dave,

I've thought about the same thing. Looked online and there is a company that produces heavy but robust 'leak-proof'(?) metal gas container for about $43, for a 5 gal container. Lowes hardware. Has great reviews and most users say they'd never use the plastic cans again.

It's one thing to fill your lawnmower but on a cold day, plastic gas can on your plastic truck liner and you flip the lid and walk to the plane. I've wondered at the chance of a static discharge, and at the process of tankering non-ethanol 93 octane to the airplane, and think at least the metal cans would be a better option.

Cheers, Howard