Pipestrel Chute Pull

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Pipestrel Chute Pull

Post by FastEddieB »

Just posted over on the Cirrus site - I had not seen it mentioned.

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief ... 0901&key=1

NTSB Identification: CEN13LA338
14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Tuesday, June 11, 2013 in Pampa, TX
Aircraft: Pipistrel Alpha Trainer, registration: N477PA
Injuries: 1 Fatal,1 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On June 11, 2013, about 0130 central daylight time, a Pipistrel LSA SRL Alpha Trainer light sport airplane, N477PA, was substantially damaged when it impacted terrain under unknown circumstances near Pampa, Texas. The airline transport pilot was fatally injured and the commercial pilot was seriously injured. The airplane was registered to Wisdom Aviation LLC., and operated by a private individual under the provisions of 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the flight, which operated without a flight plan. It is unknown where the flight originated from or where it was en route to at this time.

According to a Federal Aviation Administration Inspector who traveled to the accident scene, the pilots deployed the ballistic recovery parachute for unknown reasons, prior to impacting the ground. The airplane impacted the ground in a canyon and was drug for 1.7 miles before becoming entangled in a barbed wire fence.

Weather at the time of the accident was recorded as clear skies with wind 190 degrees at 17 knots, gusting to 22 knots.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FrankR

Re: Pipestrel Chute Pull

Post by FrankR »

I notice that the accident was at 1:30 AM CDT and flown by an ATP. So it wasn't being flown under the Light Sport rule.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

FrankR wrote:I notice that the accident was at 1:30 AM CDT and flown by an ATP. So it wasn't being flown under the Light Sport rule.
Nice catch.

Was that just an observation, or were you making a point?
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

they ran out of gas at night.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

CharlieTango wrote:they ran out of gas at night.
Apparently.

And one of the very rare times that the chute was not a...

Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

My Nightmares... Whacky in-flight emergency ends with a 'chute pull...'safely landing, only to be drug by the wind on the ground into high-tension power lines and incinerated...
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

Just an observation.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
designrs

Post by designrs »

So is this the first Light Sport chute pull?
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

designrs wrote:So is this the first Light Sport chute pull?
Far from it.

Has anyone compiled a list?
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

The BRS website has a list of all their pulls. Then you'll have to look at the other chute Mfg's.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

FrankR wrote:I notice that the accident was at 1:30 AM CDT and flown by an ATP. So it wasn't being flown under the Light Sport rule.
Actually just because the pilot held a ATP doesn't mean he/she wasn't operating the aircraft under Light Sport rules. I have an ATPL but my medical is lapsed. I can legally fly an LSA using a driver's license. If I desire to fly an aircraft bigger than an LSA then I'd need to renew my medical certificate to at least a Class 3 or better.

On the other hand if they were indeed operating under the Light Sport rules then they violated them by flying at night.

Then again, if the PIC had a medical (one was a Commercial pilot, the other an ATP, which was the PIC? ) perhaps they weren't operating under Light Sport rules.

Um....too much speculation...perhaps we should wait till the full report is complete?
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

The pilot did not have a medical listed on the Landings database which queries the FAA database. He had Commercial, Glider; Flight Instructor AMEL, Instrument, and Glider; and ATP.

Usually if someone "had" a medical it lists it with the date it expired.

His passenger had Commercial AMEL, Instrument, and Flight Instructor ASE. His Class 1 medical is listed as having expired in January of 2011.

It can be reasonably assumed that they were flying without medicals under the Light Sport Rule, illegally at 0130 Local.

Of course, we'll see when the final report is written.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC