Cirrus BRS malfunction - Addison, TX May 16, 2013

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Cirrus BRS malfunction - Addison, TX May 16, 2013

Post by FastEddieB »

Amazing - and depressing.

A Cirrus parachute pull today near Addison, TX.

Trying to sort things out, but as of now he had an instrument failure in IMC and pulled. Rocket ignited but chute did not deploy. Descended below a 1,000' ceiling and made it back to Addison with the parachute trailing behind and landed.

More to follow...
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Re: Cirrus BRS malfunction - Addison, TX May 16, 2013

Post by FastEddieB »

Photo:

Allegedly the actual parachute never left the plane.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
designrs

Post by designrs »

So best guess... after loosing instruments, pulling back the throttle, and pulling the chute, he managed to regain and maintain control of the aicraft to get down to 1,000 feet!!! Wonder what he relied on for reference? This would be an amazing case study for those "last resort" instrument apps for the iPad.
designrs

Post by designrs »

I flew a Cirrus full-cockpit simulator once. Motor failed. I set best glide & pulled the chute. The simulator displayed a resulting stong "bouncy" rubber-band effect after the chute deployment.
drseti

Post by drseti »

designrs wrote:Wonder what he relied on for reference? This would be an amazing case study for those "last resort" instrument apps for the iPad.
As it happens, I just took Kirk Kleinholz's EAA webinar on glass panels last night. He emphasizes that the iPad emergency instruments (just like the five-pack mode in the Garmin portable GPSs) does not have any attitude sensors, but extrapolates an attitude guess from rates of change of heading and altitude. IOW, would be of marginal use in the clouds --very partial-panel. The Dynon D1 pocket panel, OTOH, contains all the functionality of a full six-pack, with true attitude sensing (multiple magnetometers, accelerometers, MEMS gyros, and an internal GPS) -- so would be an outstanding backup instrument, at about twice the price of an iPad. It's apparently approved for certified aircraft, so should certainly be good enough for an LSA.

Some nice writeups on the D1 at http://dynonavionics.com/docs/D1_intro.html.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Info still coming in.

It appears he lost his Sandel HSI, which caused his autopilot to disengage and led to a problem.

This would be an older "six pack" plane, and I know how disorienting it can be to lose, or worse to be fed erroneous, heading information.

Still, with training it should not have been a CAPS-pull emergency based on the loss of one instrument.

But the pilot is posting to COPA now, and the fact that he's alive is quite a relief to everyone concerned. Before we jump on the pilot, let's make sure we have all the facts.

In a moment I will try to relate a single-point failure in IMC that really messed me up - I get a little clammy just thinking about it!
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Re: Paul's comments about the Dynon D-1, what he's referring to is its AHRS capability. (video and write-up here: http://dynonavionics.com/docs/D1_intro.html) I removed my back-up vacuum system and replaced it with a D-1 and have been very impressed with its cloning of the AI and DG displays. A big advantage of a back-up vacuum source for the main instruments is that, after you engage the source, you keep using your regular instruments. But IMO a big disadvantage is that you have to match your engine rpm to your changing altitude in order to control the amount of vacuum to the range required by the flight instruments. A chart of altitude vs. rpm must be posted in the cockpit and used for that purpose. I don't need that workload if I'm busy planning a descent and landing while in the goo, and I especially don't want it when flying in higher elevation territory. But when mounted in a standard 3 1/8 panel opening, the D-1 can be used any time the pilot chooses to practice with it. Good training.

Re: Paul's comment about the iPad's limitations, things are changing. The most recent ADS-B boxes that are coming on the market have their own AHRS capability as well as a dual freq receiver to download the weather. (This capability has existed for some time with Sky Radar, WingX and an iPad). I wanted to start having ADS-B wx in our cockpit as we travel a fair bit so I purchased the new Stratus II product since I use Foreflight. The Stratus mfgr. has published its own app to use its AHRS feature (the app is called 'Horizon') and that turns an iPad of any size into an amazingly large glass panel if it's needed. All seems to work seamlessly, assuming the iPad is 'pre-flighted' properly.

Totally off-topic...but one wonders how car mfgrs are going to justify their installed navigation suite prices as these devices become more common. An iPad mini, a RAM mount and the increasingly amazing Google Maps seem to do everything but scratch the itch on my nose.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
drseti

Post by drseti »

Jack Tyler wrote: seem to do everything but scratch the itch on my nose.
What? You haven't yet figured out how to scratch your nose on the RAM mount?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

I keep thinking about this incident. What a case study for the need for the pilot to constantly evaluate what is happening and next steps! It sounds "simple" in theory, but really could you imagine? First a "puckering" moment of something very seriously wrong! Try to manage and compensate. Then the decision to "suck it up" and pull the chute as a best option. Prepare mentally for the chute deployment... and... and... then... the chute doesn't open!! Time to fly the airplane that you decided not to fly anymore!! Unbelievable!!!

Any details from COPA direct from the pilot? I tried to look it up but COPA is locked down to members only. Thanks!
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

The pilot says he was near thunderstorms in IMC and turbulence when the HSI gave an error and went inop and the autopilot kicked off.

He said his attitude indicator "stuck" and "looked like a Picasso" - whatever that means.

Before we judge him too harshly, many, many pilots - including professional flight crews - have been brought down when a single-point failure led to fixation.

Its one thing to have an instructor "fail" something and fly partial panel - its another when the failure has already put you in an unusual attitude and nothing on the panel makes sense.

Anecdote to follow...
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote:Its one thing to have an instructor "fail" something and fly partial panel - its another when the failure has already put you in an unusual attitude and nothing on the panel makes sense.
As a fellow CFII, I couldn't agree more. After all, partial panel training is merely designed to prepare us for the day that a plastic, suction-cupped soap holder flies out of our chart case and slams itself onto the glass of a gyro. This is a strong argument for interactive simulator training, in which an instructor can cause a subtle instrument failure to occur during any phase of flight.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

The pilot must have been pretty cool under pressure to still be flying the plane after he thought there was a chute deployment, after possible IMC disorientation. Really, he must have been pretty cool and "on it" to the best of his ability. Luck rarely saves a day like that.
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

drseti wrote:
FastEddieB wrote:Its one thing to have an instructor "fail" something and fly partial panel - its another when the failure has already put you in an unusual attitude and nothing on the panel makes sense.
As a fellow CFII, I couldn't agree more. After all, partial panel training is merely designed to prepare us for the day that a plastic, suction-cupped soap holder flies out of our chart case and slams itself onto the glass of a gyro. This is a strong argument for interactive simulator training, in which an instructor can cause a subtle instrument failure to occur during any phase of flight.
I agree with this. An insidious failure is, well, insidious. A simulator can be very insidious, indeed.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

From the horse's mouth (cross posted with permission from the author):

I was traveling by car yesterday trying to get to my family up in the Midwest. I am just now starting to catch up on the posts from yesterday. We want to thank you all for your posts, calls and emails of encouragement. You are truly an incredible group of people. I hope this email answers the questions that have been asked up to this posting.

I have XM in the plane it depicted what the flight aware picture shows a large cell off our right wing . It does not show that we were in hard IMC since take off at ADS. We flew into dark clouds and precipitation when we experienced the "P static" and the electrical failures.

I routinely pick up precipitation in clouds that is not depicted on my XW or when I call center with a Pirep they do not show it on their radar either. We were on the back side of a major storm cell. We were in solid IMC shortly after take off. Right before the failure we flew into a dark cloud and rain.

We got the Fluxgate excitation lost message, our Attitude Indicator ( Artificial Horizon) looked like a Picasso and failed, our auto pilot stopped working with no alarm sounding and our radio's were crackling and filled with static.The plane starting bouncing around I saw my situation deteriorating, I was fighting spacial disorientation and I made a decision to pull our chute. I called Center and declared an emergency. I throttled back and nosed up and pulled the handle at 125 or so KTS.

I taught a CDM last year and we discussed pulling at 120 to 125 to insure that you were under the 133 speed limit. Carol told me yesterday that the chute has deployed at 187 KTS. We also discussed the logic of killing your engine prior to knowing your chute has deployed successfully . I am thankful I did not kill the engine and have to deal with an engine restart.

When that did not work, I was dumfounded and in shock. I started praying and crying out to God for guidance. The guy that got me into flying, drilled into me to the acronym " FLTFP" I turned away from the weather using my compass and turn coordinator .I was scared that I might become disoriented fly into the giant cell off our right wing.

We flew for a while on a westerly heading. I had asked for Pireps earlier and did not know the tops. I knew Addison had 1200 foot overcast ceilings when I left. I was nauseous and sweating profusely and my heart was pumping in my chest. According to Fflight aware I flew for a while maintaining altitude and heading ( it seemed like seconds not minutes). I have had fantastic emergency training and I am proficient with IFR and practice for emergencies often. I used my altimeter and VSI and turn coordinator for reference

I was in fear of my life. Contrary to some of your popular belief I am not superman nor a super pilot . I was fighting vertigo and was having a hard time keeping it together. I felt if I went up I might stall and crash. I decided to nose it over and head for the 1200 feet of daylight below. I knew I would not stall going down and I would be out of the clouds sooner by making a rapid descent. No I did not have to change my undies as many of you have inquired.

The last time this happened , a few years was in IFR and in rain I was taking off with terrain on my left and tops at 5000 feet above. On that occasion I was taking off with 400 foot ceiling in rain so going back with FUBAR instruments was not an option. I chose to climb on top. I used my altimeter, VSI , Turn coordinator and compass .When on top my electrical items started working again I flew to my destination that was VFR . I put my plane in a Cirrus Service Center in and told them of the problems. My HSI was sent to Sandel and repaired. I learned yesterday that my recurring problem was caused by "P Static". I am going to have all my static dissapators (SP) checked . I had the plane in an avionics shop a few weeks ago for the Flux gate excitation message that had gone off in VFR. The shop informed me that there was a pin not pushed in. We now believe that it is static issue and we are seeking counsel from many of you on the best shop to fix the Pstatic issue that I now know is a problem on G1 Cirrus.

I called center on a crackling radio and said I was nosing it over and heading down. According to flight aware I did not exceed 166 KTS and it took 2 minutes with over 2800 feet per minute descent rate. It appears on flight aware that we held our heading OK. We came out at 800 AGL. We heard a faint crackled call from center. We asked for vectors to the nearest airport. We got a relay from a SW pilot with instructions to change to different frequency.

We fly that route twice a week. Scud running to Addison seemed smarter at the time than landing at Denton a little bit closer. We noticed our electrical system working after we left the clouds. We did not trust our electrical system so we chose to stay under the 800 foot ceiling base and fly back to Addison. The plane was flying ok but did not feel right. DFW approach asked us if we could intercept the ILS for 15 at some way point? This would have meant climbing up into the clouds. We politely declined reminding him of our situation and said we would stay under the clouds and fly a visual for 15.

When we were 4 out from Addison we asked tower if they could see anything sticking out of the top of our plane. They said they did dot see anything. The controller suggested I make a low pass and she would look at my plane for me. I politely ( OK maybe sarcasm, I don't recall but, would love to hear the recording if one of you knows how to get it) declined her offer and elected to land. Flying into Addison from the North has buildings right up to the airport. I now started thinking what if the rocket is like a dud firecracker that has a delayed reaction? I flew in high past the buildings and according to a person on the ground, greased the landing. Tower reported that I was dragging something behind the plane.

Tower asked if we needed any emergency services that had rolled out. We declined and taxied back to our Cirrus Service Center that had done our repack in 2012.

We look forward to finding out why our chute failed to deploy. Cirrus and the FAA spent all day yesterday working on it. We promised the FAA that we would not comment on their findings publicly until they gave us the green light. The FAA has been very helpful and taken all of my calls. NTSB did not invite me to the meeting yesterday. I have no problem with that. I am not an engineer nor am I a rocket scientist. I have heard that I could have shown up and pushed the issue. I was already in the car driving to see my family. The FAA promised not let anyone near my plane until they were there and they video taped the entire process. They promised to let me see the tapes and info etc. We took tons of pictures and video before the FAA got there so everything is well documented.

Dale and Pat at Cirrus have been fantastic through this entire process. They are handling this in an honorable manner . I look forward to flying in a Cirrus again soon.

I got back with my family last night. After we all shed a few tears they asked if I would ever fly a Cirrus again? I said why wouldn't I? My 19 year old son said because the chute failed . I asked him If he was in a car crash in our Mercedes (and not injured ) and by some fluke his airbag did not deploy would he stop driving? He said no. I then asked him from a safety standpoint after his air bags in theory did not deploy would you rather drive a car designed with safety features from the 1950's and 60's or a car certified in 2001 with air bags even though there is a slight chance the air bags might not work?

My Cirrus certified in 2001 is still a much safer airplane than any of the competitors that were certified in the 1950's and 1960's. We all need to practice emergency procedures and stay current. I am a Boy Scout Master and the Boy Scout motto is "Be Prepared" . The wonderful training I got from Carol Jenson, the Critical Decision Making (CDM) seminar I took at Migration and me preparing for and teaching the CDM last fall as well as flying a Cirrus all prepared me for last Thursdays positive outcome.

I can say without reservation that I will continue to choose to fly a Cirrus (after the issues are resolved). Man made things fail like HSI's, Auto Pilots, Radio's, Parachutes, air bags etc.

Last Sunday I flew a soldier who was blown up in a road side bomb in Iraq from KS to Texas for a follow up operation for his burns. His wife (a first time flyer) teased me for praying out loud before the flight. She said it is sort of unnerving to hear the pilot praying before a flight. He had flown with me before and he told his wife "he always does that ". We loaned him a car for a month while he was recuperating in San Antonio. He called yesterday to tell me about a minor issue with the car. He thanked me for praying for him and his wife. He said Jessica commented that she felt a peace flying with me after the prayer. He asked me if I was back in Kansas. I told him I was driving there now in our Dallas car. He asked why I was driving and not flying and we told him about the incident and he started crying and thanking God.

As usual I prayed out loud by myself prior to take off on Thursday's flight. Before I go to the power on my console I thank God, the ultimate higher power for his promise of having angels encamped around us.

My faith is not in man or in things made by man. When I experienced all of the "things of this earth" (growing strangely dim) that failed me on Thursday, I turned to God and he saved me, he has never failed me. I am truly thankful to him be alive.

Tim Valentine
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
designrs

Post by designrs »

Thank you Fast Eddie for the repost, and to Tim Valentine for sharing his experience and reflections on the incident. It gives new meaning to "God is my copilot" and also to currency in emergency training and keeping it together while exercising airmanship under duress. Wow!