Pilot Falls Out Of Airplane

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

dstclair

Pilot Falls Out Of Airplane

Post by dstclair »

Any one have any details on: http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Pi ... 410-1.html
Authorities have found the body of a pilot who fell out of a Zenith 601 aircraft at about 2,500 feet over East Brainerd, Tenn., just east of Chattanooga on Friday. The man was not identified but the latest reports suggest he was an experienced pilot who had recently purchased the aircraft and was being trained to fly it by another pilot. "At some point during their flight, the canopy on the aircraft malfunctioned and, as a result, one of the pilots was ejected," Bradley Gault, a spokesman for the Bradley County Sheriff's Office told local media.

The nature of the malfunction was not detailed. Zenith 601s generally have a bubble canopy that opens forward. Authorities are not offering any speculation either on the attitude of the aircraft or the use of safety restraints at the time the pilot was separated from the aircraft. The other pilot was able to return to Collegedale Airport and land safely.
dave
langj

Re: Pilot Falls Out Of Airplane

Post by langj »

It's on MSNBC news front page. There is something really fishy about the story the instructor has given. I have a lot of hours in a zodiac 601xli and even if the canopy were to open it would not open all the way only a few inches. At which the POH for the aircraft say to just focus on landing. They had to be doing a aerobatics maneuvers which this aircraft is not rated for. My guess they were inverted or doing a spin. Also, why the hell did they not have there belts on. Especially if they were doing crazy stuff. None of this adds up. I will for sure be looking for the investigative report.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Reminds me of an incident where a young ferry pilot was ejected from a SportCruiser with bubble canopy. His body was found quite some distance from he wreckage. Final probability report based on shoulder abrasions... he probably unbuckled the lap belt, was reaching into the cargo area behind the seats, accidentally released the canopy latch... which caused a very violent pitch down, opened the canopy wide, and ejected the pilot and most of whatever else that wasn't tied down.

Sad accidents! Keep those seat belts and harneneses tight, and check & watch those canopy latches closely!
Torque

Post by Torque »

A few months ago when I was getting my airplane ready to go into the shop for the condition inspection, there was a group of people standing around.

I was only taxing to a hangar not very far away and one of the guys walked over laughing saying, you are pitting on a seat belt to travel just over to that hangar.

I said, I never ever start the engine without first putting on my seat belt. He was laughing as he walked away and shaking his head. By the way this was an A&P.

Now That I removed my starter that has changed, but I will never move my airplane without my seat belt being on. Only then will I release the tow hook.

Now I need a Tow hook release thingie dodad..lol....Anyone have one?
designrs

Post by designrs »

There was a commercial airline pilot who started his Pitts to taxi or motor test. No seatbelt. Hit the throttle and could not control the airplane because his body was out of position at the controls. Plane started running away from him. It was either take off from the taxiway, hit something or nose over. OUCH!!
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2013/3/29/2 ... Plane.aspx
The flight instructor said the pilot was having trouble controlling the Zodiac 601 craft, then it nosedived and the canopy came off at about 2,500 feet. The pilot, whose seat belt was not secured, then tumbled out of the plane.
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

I live just a few miles from the airport and was there Friday right after it happened. The post accident pics of the 601 show the canopy attached and not visibly damaged. It is hard to imagine what kind of attitude the plane had to be in for this to happen and why safety belts were not used. The pilot bought the airplane about two weeks ago, the builder of the 601 in this accident died in another one of his home built airplanes last December just north of the airport. The local pilots say this guy was experienced. Between these two accidents, both so close to my house, my passion for aviation is becoming a tough sell for the family...
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

As a follow up, the below link has some good information on this accident:

http://www.flydanbowles.com/Flying_with ... gs_up.html
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

hirschr wrote:As a follow up, the below link has some good information on this accident:

Wow, in retrospect you can see the accident chain clear as day. Failed start, rushing to get the airplane going, unlatched seat belt not fully latched, same with the canopy. All the little things count, they add up to big things. :(
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

hirschr wrote:As a follow up, the below link has some good information on this accident:

Kudos to the author of this article for wanting to set the record straight according to his close association sources.

As a regular pilot of the PiperSport/SportCruiser canopy aircraft I have followed canopy latch issues closely, both from first-hand experience as well as various articles and sources.

If you hear or feel drafty air it's probably a partially latched canopy. Slow it down! Tighten the belts! Make a precautionary landing!

You can not close the canopy, but you can check existing latch position and have a second person support the canopy to reduce stress and possible complete unlatch. If that canopy fully opens there might very well be a violent pitch down and lots of things flying. Be ready for the throttle back and correction.

Always check those seat belts!
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

This is one of those things caused by "gumption traps" as posted by FastEddie. You can't exactly predict the outcome, but the interrupted normal flow of things should give cause to check everything especially well. In this case, it started with the slow crank and subsequent unbuckling. Every time I feel the the normal sequence has been broken, I start to look for the errors that can creep into the situation. Chill, reset, check, double-check.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Wow!

The Perfect Storm, replete with the aforementioned "Gumption Traps".

A scary read.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]