Refresher on operating at non-tower airports

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

Jack Tyler

Refresher on operating at non-tower airports

Post by Jack Tyler »

Some of us are either based at or fly into/out of Class D & C airports where controllers manage the flow of air traffic. Since we're about to lose the manning of ~190 control towers in the smaller airports we are most likely to visit, I thought it might be helpful to post this link, which offers a refresher on non-tower airport procedures: http://www.aopa.org/asf/publications/sa08.pdf

I happen to fly out of a small non-towered recreational airport, KHEG, but I visit towered fields regularly and I've come to depend on those towers. This is especially true where there's a mix of student flight training, biz jets and the normal ebb and flow of recreational arrivals and departures. I'm reviewing this refresher myself.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
jnmeade

Re: Refresher on operating at non-tower airports

Post by jnmeade »

This is a good review. Keep in mind that people will adhere to these recommendations to greater or lesser degrees. In particular, jets that are used to flying straight in are not likely to automatically start flying patterns. In other words, I will not be so insistent on my "rights" as to lead to an accident. Remember, the patterns are not a matter of FAR. They are a recommendation.
Jack Tyler

Re: Refresher on operating at non-tower airports

Post by Jack Tyler »

Good point about turboprops and jets continuing their long approaches on final, which the rest of us need to accommodate.

Here's an example of an even broader issue to plan for if arriving at a non-towered field: the only instrument approach into my rural airport brings one straight thru the glider pattern before arriving at pattern entry. I'm talking with Approach and no one flying touch 'n go's at my airport, no other arriving/departing a/c, no glider pilot knows I'm hustling in there. When I reach Decision Height and assuming I have the field in sight, I'm released to the advisory (CTAF) freq and only then does the normal procedure have me making a 'position and intention' call to the local traffic. That's really unsafe, in my view. So...
-- if you fly into/out of a non-towered field, understand that a/c might arrive somewhat suddenly and need to either enter the pattern directly or work their way into the rotation. They aren't trying to bust the queue, they may have been placed their by TraCon
-- as you are making your approach to a non-towered field but are still some miles out, monitor the Approach freq for your airspace while also picking up your AWOS field wx and monitoring the field's CTAF. Build a picture of what local traffic is already operating in or closing on the pattern but try to also listen for Tracon providing vectors for an instrument approach into your same field. This is easier than it sounds because you only have to be listening for the approach name when/if it's spoken by Tracon (e.g. 'VOR approach to 9 Left'). That's the only way you'll have a chance to anticipate the arrival of an a/c using an instrument approach.
-- what's an even safer AND easier option is to be using flight following, if you can still get it in your area. That way, you'll be on the same freq and the controller will know about any adjustment you must make and can advise in plenty of time.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org