azz pucker time as airplane into "flat" spin VIDEO

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

ussyorktown

azz pucker time as airplane into "flat" spin VIDEO

Post by ussyorktown »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvbS-oHi9ro26 Turn Flat Spin in a Tipsy Nipper
The spin was supposed to be a normal erect spin to the right, but for various unintentional reasons the spin went flat, up until that point I had never flat spun an aircraft. I eventualy mananged to get the aircraft into a normal erect spin from which I was able to recover. This aircraft is not fitted with an electric starter motor, so I was unable to restart the engine. During the "flare" to land the main undercarriage caught the top wires of a barbed wire fence that was invisible to me. After coming to rest inverted I waited 20mins for the rescue services to come and right the aircraft so I was able to exit via the outward opening canopy. The aircraft rotated 26 times total, I was extremely dissorientated after the recovery to straight and level flight, and was unable to read the instruments. From the video I estimate I recovered at about 700ft from an entry altitude of 3500ft. If you listen carefully you will hear me say:"I think this is it". At that stage I did not think I would be able to recover. However I continued to try various control inputs based on the aircraft attitude and rotational rate, which eventually effected a recovery. My thanks go to the emergency services that found me and allowed my escape. (not written or done by ussyorktown)
drseti

Re: azz pucker time as airplane into "flat" spin VIDEO

Post by drseti »

Once again, I have to ask: what makes you think this belongs in Hangar Talk, and not Safety Corner?

(Moving it now.)

Dan, I'm going to say what your mom probably told you: start picking up your own socks. I'm tired of cleaning up after you.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

I'm just an enlisted man. I don't nuttun about birthing no topics! This is the sort of thing I'd talk about with the old dogs who hang out and tell lies in the hangar. So, hangar talk. Nobody goes to the other forums so 99% of the population will never see it if it goes somewhere else.
drseti

Post by drseti »

ussyorktown wrote:Nobody goes to the other forums so 99% of the population will never see it if it goes somewhere else.
Totally untrue! (Back me up here, gang). What is true is that, if everything gets dumped into one pot, everybody but you is going to stop using this wonderful resource.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Like I said before as a joke, Dan needs his own topic section right at the top of the page.

I go through the forum and look at all the new topics, on all of the sections. That is how I found this in safety corner. Tom
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cf ... 003-08.pdf Good to know that the bureaucrats in UK write much more concise reports than the NTSB bureaucrats...NOT.