Dog pilot on mission crashes and dies

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

ussyorktown

Dog pilot on mission crashes and dies

Post by ussyorktown »

Doesn't sound like the dog tried to take the controls or blocked the controls. Heart attack? Why would he go straight up and then straight down?

Timothy Johnson, Miami man, identified in deadly John Prince Park plane crash Saturday

LAKE WORTH, Fla. -- The Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office has identified the pilot killed in a plane crash inside John Prince Park Saturday.

Timothy Johnson, 33, of Miami, was pronounced dead on the scene. The crash happened in front of afternoon picnickers at the suburban Lake Worth park.

According to the sheriff's office, Johnson took off from Lantana Airport to fly to Tamiami Airport in Miami.

The plane was observed at an awkward angle upon takeoff, banked, then disappeared nose down into the ground, where it crashed and burned, according to PBSO.

Members of the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the wreckage Monday. They say it may take a year until a cause of the crash is determined.

Witnesses say they saw the plane go down, adding that one of the props appeared to be stalled, while the other continued to spin. They said the plane flew straight up into the air then took a nosedive into the park.

Johnson was the only person in the aircraft at the time. He was certified to fly the Cessna Twin Engine 421 C he was piloting. The plane can fit up to eight passengers.

Investigators will split their time between John Prince Park and the Lantana Airport to examine the remaining parts of the plane. They say they must investigate the "perishable" parts of the crash first before examining the documented variables, such as the pilot's experience.
The wreckage was guarded by deputies until NTSB investigators arrived.
drseti

Re: Dog pilot on mission crashes and dies

Post by drseti »

ussyorktown wrote:Why would he go straight up and then straight down?
This accident scenario seems eerily similar to one a few years ago, in which the pilot took off in haste, after an incomplete preflight inspection and no runup. In that accident, an elevator control lock had not been removed. If that's the case here, I'm sure the NTSB investigators will have no difficulty determining probable cause.

Meanwhile, thread moved to Safety Corner, where all accident reports belong.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

I'm still a freshman. What do you mean? He skipped a step to show his control surfaces were free or one of his engines he didn't run up?
drseti

Post by drseti »

The accident I'm referring to, the pilot was in a hurry, and never checked controls for freedom of movement. Had nothing to do with engines, except that this is something one would normally do as part of the runup procedures.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

I check surfaces twice. When I do a walk around and again at the run up. I've heard that ex girlfriends here in Oregon have stuck booms into the seams of control surfaces. "Hell hath no fury like that of a woman scorned."Image
...and yes. YES! She was worth it!"
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Or...asymmetric thrust, perhaps due to the loss of the critical engine, at a vulnerable moment in the flight (take off), which drew the pilot's attention away from maintaining controlled flight? Very experienced instructors have told me the most difficult thing to do in flying, with an engine loss or approaching stall close to the ground, is to push the yoke forward (to avoid the stall), towards the ground. Which is why LOC (stall/spin) accidents on takeoff are such a high percentage of fatal crashes in GA.

"Witnesses say they saw the plane go down, adding that one of the props appeared to be stalled, while the other continued to spin."
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Not to be a wet blanket, but...

...a simple request:

Before you post humorous photos or make jokes, please take one second to look back at the thread title. If it involves a serious injury or death, please pause just one moment before you hit the "Submit" button and consider if humor is appropriate to the thread.

If any one of us ever meet our ends flying, I'm not sure we'd appreciate site members yucking it up at our expense. Though I guess, truth be told, we'd be beyond caring.

Thanks.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

Worked in the combat zone, in newsrooms and as a lawyer. Black humor eases the tension. No family members were harmed in the making of this joke.

It is amazing how an experience pilot can die doing something that a boot like myself would not do, e.g. run up and walk around and test freedom of the control surfaces. I've read that many a time people have seen pilots dragging cinder blocks on the ends of tie down ropes to the end of the runway. Surprises me that people will just jump into a plane and push the Throttle Wide Open.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I have to agree with Eddie on this one, Dan. If black humor eases your personal tension, then perhaps you should engage in it privately, not on this public forum.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

It was simple request - feel free to yuck it up as much as you want.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Jack Tyler wrote:Or...asymmetric thrust, perhaps due to the loss of the critical engine, at a vulnerable moment
That would of course explain the reported behavior, Jack. However, I have noticed that many a witness observation cited in NTSB accident investigations has no basis in fact. Witnesses are particularly bad at accurately reporting whether engines are running or not.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

belly buttons=opinions
everybody has one.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Observations from the photo: Young guy, clean plane, casually well dressed, new athletic shoes, animal lover, took care to secure the oder dog comfortably and properly. Tragic!
designrs

Post by designrs »

FastEddieB wrote:...a simple request:
Before you post humorous photos or make jokes, please take one second to look back at the thread title. If it involves a serious injury or death, please pause just one moment before you hit the "Submit" button and consider if humor is appropriate to the thread.
+1
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

Here we go again. Man-up would you? I told a true story about how spurned lovers have done to an airplane here at Aurora and you are offended? Is this what aviators have come to? -1