Pastor Dave... R.I.P.

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

cornfieldflyer

Pastor Dave... R.I.P.

Post by cornfieldflyer »

cornfieldflyer

Re: Pastor Dave... R.I.P.

Post by cornfieldflyer »

I posted this here on the Saftey section because I believe we can all learn some things here.

For those like myself who fly this style of plane we can learn somethings. Here is what I have taken or learned from this.

These birds do not glide very well. They glide like a rock. Also we know we are pushing the limits when it comes to the size of pilot these birds should hold.

Saying those two things we have a recipe for, well, things to go badly when things go wrong.

In the SP program we self certifity that we are in good health and we can fly by using our drivers license.

I myself believe we need to use one other thing...the bathroom scale..

Here is what I say..The less I wiegh the better my plane flies. If you have some extra pounds, like I do, please try and loose them for your safety, you will feel better and your plane will fly better.

Helmet, I would bet he had head trama. The plane was in to good of shape. In this style of plane I myself believe a helmet can safe your life.

I never knew Pastor Dave personally but we traded e-mails alot. He was waiting for my reply back on an engine mount setup for a 1/2 vw. He said his rotax had not been to reliable.

R.I.P. Pastor Dave

Tony
zaitcev

Re: Pastor Dave... R.I.P.

Post by zaitcev »

My sympathies, Tony.

I am looking into Part 103 ultralights of late and I met a local pilot who flies Quicksilver MXL and has an older MX. He said that he crashed no less than 10 times and had to write off a couple of airframes completely, but never was injured in his crashes. Some people have all the luck. He does fly with a helmet though.

He's also kind of crazy and crazy good, too. I took pictures of him landing the MXL and dragging his elevator push-pull: the pin came off that attached the tube to the elevator bracket. He landed using the throttle for attitude control, no problem. It was a test flight after he re-assembled the aircraft, and he did not have the BRS installed yet.

-- Pete