That part was Brand New

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

cornfieldflyer

That part was Brand New

Post by cornfieldflyer »

There I was after a flight in my Hi-max pulling and pulling on that recoil trying to get that bird to restart. After working up a sweat I put her away and will come back later.

The next day I pull her out and tie her down. I give a pull on the cord after priming and she fires right up. Hummm I must have flooded her. So off flying I go.

I land shut her down and get out. I pull on the cord and nothing again I work up a sweat and put the bird away. Now I know what the problem is. I put her in my dark hangar and pull the plugs, give a yank and nothing. I grap the plug wire and plug and give another pull on the recoil. Just as I thought no spark.

The next day I come out pull on the cord with the plug just laying there and, SNAP, SNAP. Time for the engine to come off, I have a bad stator. So off came the 447 and on the phone I am looking for a stator. I found a brand new stator for a price of almost 700 bucks. I order it, what else can one do, and wait.

The truck arrives and brings me my new stator. Boy am I happy. That stator gets installed and everything checked then buttoned back up. I reinstall the engine and tie the bird back down.

First pull she is purring like never before. The bird this is in has 24 hrs on engine and bird. I let her run for about 20 mins and shut her down. I get out pull on the cord and she fires right up. Man I am happy now. I let her run about 20 more mins and shut her back down. Again I pull on her and she fires right back up. Now I am wanting to jump for joy. I untie her and head out to taxi.

I taxi her for about 30 mins, running her at different speeds and even shutting her down, getting out and restarting, and she never ran better. I head to the thrush hold or hold short mark on the grass strip, its an imaginary mark but I head to it.

I turn into the wind, man I am excited, the engine sounds great, I throttle into her, we are picking up speed, I am justing getting ready to break gravity with mother earth and all went silent.

To say I was shocked is not saying enough. She stopped right in the middle of the runway. I get out and move her to the side. When I purchased this stator Rotax only offers the Dual ignition stator no more single, so this little 447 had a dual ignition stator, so I unpluged the coil and plugged her into the other side of the stator.

I gave a pull on the recoil and she fired right up, I taxied her to my hangar. There was no way that bird was going back into the air. I do not care how well it was running, I was not flying her.

I called rotax and was told that happens in one out of a thousand....I would be that One out of a thousand. I sold the bird and swore off two strokes that day.

This was engine out #4 out of 6 to date, that would be 6 in 3 years.

Tony
designrs

Re: That part was Brand New

Post by designrs »

Interesting. So why, at least from one man's experience, has the Rotax 447 been so unreliable, while the Rotax 912 has proven to be extremely reliable?
CharlieTango

Re: That part was Brand New

Post by CharlieTango »

designrs wrote:Interesting. So why, at least from one man's experience, has the Rotax 447 been so unreliable, while the Rotax 912 has proven to be extremely reliable?
2-stroke vs 4-stroke