Don't fly under bridge, even ON your 90th birthday OLD BOLD

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

ussyorktown

Don't fly under bridge, even ON your 90th birthday OLD BOLD

Post by ussyorktown »

95-year-old pilot survives crash landing in Toledo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_EtcV14 ... edded#t=5sVIDEO
A 95-year-old pilot is recovering after making an emergency landing and crashing into a ditch in Toledo.Image
Firefighters say 95-year-old Jack Hagerty of Toledo Oregon was flying a Cessna 150 from Newport when his plane had a mechanical failure in one of its pedals, affecting his ability to steer.

Witnesses said Hagerty made an emergency landing on the Toledo Airport runway, but after the plane touched down, it veered off the runway and clipped a hangar before crashing into a ditch and breaking apart.

Hagerty suffered non-life-threatening injuries and was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment.

The cause of the crash is under investigation.

According to newslincolncounty.com, Hagerty gained local notoriety in 2006 when he flew a plane under the Yaquina Bay Bridge to celebrate his 90th birthday. The stunt resulted in a one-year suspension of his pilot's license by the Federal Aviation Administration.

TOLEDO, Ore. -- A well-known man in aviation circles on the Oregon coast crashed his plane Monday morning at the Toledo Airport.

Toledo's Jack Hagerty, 95, crashed his Cessna 172 just before 10 a.m. Monday. Hagerty was on a flight from Newport to Toledo when the plane suffered a mechanical failure between his left aileron and his left pedal.

Witnesses on the ground said Hagerty came in too high and too fast, but still managed to set the plane down on the runway at the airport. But because of the mechanical failure, the plane's steering capabilities were limited and the plane landed and then took a hard right turn off the runway, across a small tarmac and into Hagerty's own hangar.

The plane clipped a door support on the hangar and then ploughed into a ditch and an embankment which broke the plane in two. Hagerty suffered injuries but none thought to be life-threatening. He was removed from the plane and taken by ambulance to Pacific Communities Hospital in Newport.

Staff from the National Transportation Safety Board was on scene assessing the situation and trying to confirm the cause of the crash.

Hagerty is a celebrated figure in the Newport area, having been a life-long pilot. On his 90th birthday in 2006, Hagerty flew an airplane under the Yaquina Bay Bridge Imagesimply because he'd always wanted to, even though it was illegal because it's 135 feet from the traffic lanes down to the water. Hagerty's cohorts said that when he landed after flying under the bridge in 2006, FAA officials revoked his pilot license. He got back his license within a year.
ussyorktown

Re: Don't fly under bridge, even ON your 90th birthday OLD B

Post by ussyorktown »

I think I smell a little BS here. How do you break your left aileron peddle? I can see the problem. If the aileron is controlled by a peddle I'd be confused if I couldn't press down my left aileron peddle and could only press down my right aileron peddle. What?
Assuming that they meant "his left rudder broke" then why the hell did he have to come in high and fast.

Why didn't he land at the south end of the runway and let friction slow him down and let him go off the end of the runway or stop before it came to an end. Instead he decided to cut right to the hangars and he was merely going too fast (and he made up all the rest about broke aileron peddle).
Damn. If I get caught in a tight spot like this with the FAA looking to yank my ticket, I hope I can come up with a more believable fantasy than this!

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots but in Toledo we have an old bold pilot.
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

ImageHoly Toledo, Batman!Image
drseti

Post by drseti »

ussyorktown wrote:Toledo's Jack Hagerty, 95, crashed his Cessna 172
Interesting how it grew from a 150 to a 172. Next news report will doubtless show it as a 206...

(Last photo showed the N number quite clearly. I looked it up on the FAA database. It was in fact a 1975 150M, and was indeed registered to Jack Haggerty. Note that the press misspelled his surname.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

I can't find a pic of 95 year old Jack. I assume he looks like this then.
This is a pic of a mere 90 year old. (a kid) Image
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:
ussyorktown wrote:Toledo's Jack Hagerty, 95, crashed his Cessna 172
Interesting how it grew from a 150 to a 172. Next news report will doubtless show it as a 206...

(Last photo showed the N number quite clearly. I looked it up on the FAA database. It was in fact a 1975 150M, and was indeed registered to Jack Haggerty. Note that the press misspelled his surname.)
I heard it was a 310. :mrgreen:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Did you hear that this 100 year old guy flew a Citation under a bridge. :lol: :lol:
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

The gentlemen of the press have now concluded their investigation and now also have published a picture of this event.
Brother Haggerty says he may be clipping his wings.
Haggerty says that was all in fun, but he's proud of his flying record. He says he started flying when he was 21 years old. Monday's crash was his first in 70-plus years of flying.

This time, Haggerty says he may be done with flying.

"I think so. Unless I can get a chance to fly...but I'm not going to go hunting for it," said Haggerty. "I have to be honest, because it (the crash) did startle me a little bit."

Haggerty had problems with brake and aileron pedals and came in high and fast, according to the Lincoln County sheriff's office.

Haggerty was able to land the plane, then lost control, veering to the right across the strip, striking a hangar door post, going nose-first into a ditch before coming to a rest.

Haggerty was pulled from the plane by Toledo Fire & Rescue and taken to the hospital in Newport. He was held overnight for observation and was released with only minor injuries.

Haggerty is set to turn 95 years old later this month.