Heads up Air speed display on your iPad for .99 cents

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Is your CT analog, or does it have the Dynon panel?
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

+1.

I'm in the 'landing is 100%' feel category. I'm way over generizing but you really need to develop the sight picture such that you'll know if you're little low (going to miss the landing point and bump the throttle), or little slow (drop the nose), etc.

Sure, it makes sense to find a general throttle setting to start from which tends to create a sink rate/speed but this isn't a 100% recipe since the landing conditions are always changing.
dave
comperini

Post by comperini »

You haven't answered the questions everyone is asking...

Are you really serious about (the nutty idea of) using an Ipad "speed" app for landing, or are you messing with us?
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
designrs

Post by designrs »

ussyorktown wrote:I see your point. It is 100% GPS.
This is what I will do. When flying with a passenger, his job will be to sing out my speed using the pitot tube/stationary air method.
I will then also have the GPS speedometer in front of me.
I will have the WORLD in front of me comparing this landing with the few hundred I've done so far.

Based on all of this, I will make a decision as to when I flare. Eyes out 99% of the time. :roll:
It's your job as pilot in command to know your airspeed, not your passenger who may be unfamiliar, confused, distracted, unreliable, etc.
A GPS groundspeed number doesn't mean SQUAT when you are on final as an indication of when to flare.
It's not airspeed and it's not accurate as a substitute.
It's not even a valid comparison to your previous landings.
It's a dangerous and irrelevant distraction.

If you continue to use groundspeed on final and in landing, there is a very, very high probability of a very serious accident.

Please listen to what everyone is telling you here.
Many can't believe that you are even serious on this topic!

If you need to be the "Tiger Woods" of aviation flares & landings, ditch the iPad groundspeed, and spend more time with a CFI in the plane that is a master in your make & model aircraft.

We like you alive & well!
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

Are you really serious about (the nutty idea of) using an Ipad "speed" app for landing, or are you messing with us?

Yeah. I've done it with 3 landings and each time it touches down like a 2 year old kissing her Daddy.
I use all inputs, including looking out my bug crushing window and love landing at 45 to 40 knots. Goes from being a airship to a car in a blink of an eye and all the boys at the FBO compliment how well I do it these days.
Fear not.
comperini

Post by comperini »

ussyorktown wrote:Yeah. I've done it with 3 landings and each time it touches down like a 2 year old kissing her Daddy.
You actually obtained a pilot certificate with this blatent lack of knowledge? I think there's an NTSB report in your future.
designrs wrote:All who agree please reply "+1"
+1

And let's hope other newbies don't think that this practice is condoned or proper.
- Bob
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

Opinions are like belly buttons. Everyone has one.
I am using the gps speedometer only as one factor among many when I decide that it is time to flare. If I feel "now is the time to flare" and glance down and see that I am doing 40 knots then I flare and we touch down nicely. Obviously, if my windshield view doesn't tell me that it is time to flare then i wouldn't look down to double check the gps till if FEEL it. Then .10 second to see what the giant GPS says (letters as high as the IPAD filing the screen so I can nearly see it with my peripheral vision.)
The only time I'll be mentioned in a NTSD report is when they say what a fine example I am.
Why do so many people get their knickers in a twist when somebody comes up with a new idea? It isn't the end of the republic.
I wasn't going to fly Sunday but now I must. I will go around the patch 3 or 4 times and see if Western Civilization is at stake by my unorthdox, sinful and unholy IPad use.Image
Last edited by ussyorktown on Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
comperini

Post by comperini »

I'll make you a deal... find one.. just one flight instructor that approves of this, and I'll apologize for querstioning you.
- Bob
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

OK
comperini

Post by comperini »

(insert sound of crickets here)
- Bob
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

ussyorktown wrote: Wish the FD had a stall horn. Maybe I can rig up the IPad gps to do one...
No, you can't.

And, again, if that was a serious suggestion, please, please get some ground instruction on some fairly basic aerodynamics.* And do it soon.

I'd be happy to chat with you on this at some length and for no charge - its that important.

*for starters, a wing can be stalled, and a stall warning be made to sound, at any airspeed. iPads are wonderful, but they're not magic and GPS-derived groundspeed does literally nothing to aid in stall recognition.

Nothing.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

I think you'all are reading too much into this. I look, look, look and feel, feel, feel and when I think I should flare from my vast experience of a few hundred landings then I in .10 second look at IPad. If I am still at 55 knots then I am wrong and continue to fly and let altitude bleed. Then in a second or two when I feel that again I am ready to flare, I glance at it again and it say 40knots and then I flare. I've done it 3x so far and it is OK.

I think you should all show me more respect. I come from Portland Oregon-the part of the country where very famous aviators come from. D.B. Cooper flew out of Portland International, ya know
comperini

Post by comperini »

You think flaring is a function of air (er, more accurately "ground") speed... we all think of it as a function of altitude.

Maybe you're here to get free flying advise, now that you know how to change your own oil I guess.

This guy can't possibly be serious... sounds more like someone bored and loves to mix it up in forums.
- Bob
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

What is the big deal? R U kidding? On the 3 times I've tried it the thing works out just fine. The wind was calm and of course if I've got a cross wind or 10 knot wind then the GPS is worthless for this.
I'll fly tomorrow. I'll show my idea to a couple of flight instructors and then i'll report back. No crickets here by the way but there sure must be a lot of birds. One built a nest in the hole under my stabalator. (I now stuff rags there) and they also leave several non-monetary deposits on my stabalator.
designrs

Post by designrs »

No problem with new technology here. The iPad is great! I use it on every flight. ForeFlight is awesome along with several other apps. When I purchase a plane there will probably be a permanent mount on the panel for the iPad.

Although it's not for everyone, I'd like to try having a head up display. Fighter planes have them. Put that big important number right there in front of me! However that big number is NOT groundspeed. That big number would have to be ACCURATE AIRSPEED!

Accurate airspeed is the big deal that everyone here is so concerned about.