PiperSport Crash in Florida

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

SSDriver

Re: PiperSport Crash in Florida

Post by SSDriver »

Dick,
Thanks for the clarification. That makes sense now. The plane I'm training in has a single latch in the top center/rear edge of the Canopy. While it's a bit of arm stretch I can latch it while strapped in so I was trying to wrap my head around the procedure for the Piper..

The more I look at that plane, the more I fall in love with it. Hopefully they'll start turning up in NJ at some point. Currently NJ celebrates a total of (2) Light Sport airplanes for Training/Rental for the entire state. :cry:
Drew
PP-ASEL
drseti

Re: PiperSport Crash in Florida

Post by drseti »

SSDriver wrote:The more I look at that plane, the more I fall in love with it. Hopefully they'll start turning up in NJ at some point.
Drew, it's a bit of a drive, but you can train in the PiperSport at Brookhaven NY, with Mid Island Air on Long Island. See if you can get a flight with Mike Bellenir sometime -- he's the CFI who checked me out in both the PiperSport and the SportStar, and knows these planes very well.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
gingoglia

sport cruiser canopy opened

Post by gingoglia »

The canopy does open to about 45" . It did to me a few days ago.
Upon take off at about 65 knots at 310 ft (right after I raised the flaps) the canopy opened a bit (couple of inches) then opened so hi I couldnt reach it.
Wasted some seconds trying to get it down (unsuccessfully) . Plane did NOT fly well, as in the posted video. Very didfficult to control . I pulled back on throttle control got better but I had no altitude. Ran out of runway applied full power and tried to climb. Rate of climb was insufficient to clear trees , had to bank to avoid them. Knew a stall was nearby . Tried to be patient and climb and turn (yeah I know) . When it appeared I would hit a tree with the right wing I banked more and (no surprise here)began the stall. Avoided the tree,
put nose down, leveled wings (as much as I could).
Hit pretty flat , nose up, skidded 125 feet. Right before I hit , the canopy came down
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

So sorry to hear about your crash, I hope you are OK. I had been doing a local round robin and made my 3rd landing at KUKT. Upon T.O. the canopy started to raise. Not sure why at this time, or when I missed it on the checklist, but decided I was committed to T.O. Immediately entered a closed pattern, all the while saying "flytheairplane, flytheairplane, flytheairplane". I lost a sectional and my cockpit panel cooler (ouch!) somewhere on downwind. Normal full flap landing without incident. Scared me. I actually perform and touch all items on the T.O. checklist now, even if I've landed previously on the same flight.
Dave
designrs

Post by designrs »

Dave, don't just touch the canopy at the top.
Push on the canopy at ALL THREE canopy latch points to check.
(I had 2 out of 3 latched one time.)
designrs

Post by designrs »

... might want to check if you can install the canopy grab bar that is in the new SportCruisers. It's nice to pull down while latching for a secure fit.
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

Do you have any pictures of that grab bar? I might be interested in a retro-fit.
Dave
designrs

Post by designrs »

Sure Dave! I will take photos of the canopy grab bar next time I see and/or fly the plane and will post here.
drseti

Post by drseti »

SportStar canopy is similar to the CRUZ, so similar precautions apply. I keep a passenger briefing card in my plane (see http://avsport.org/acft/PassengerPrefli ... rtStar.pdf) that mentions canopy opening in flight. It states the pilot will not try to close it, but will return to the airport and land. And I brief my students never to try to close it, just FTFA (fly the fun airplane).

Because it's a curved surface, the canopy is an airfoil, and the lift created by the airflow across it can be more than your muscles can overcome. So, ignore the wind, ignore the noise, ignore your charts blowing out of the plane, ignore the screaming passenger, and FTFA!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
znurtdog

Sorry about your accident

Post by znurtdog »

gingoglia WOW, that's pretty dramatic, glad you are OK.
gingoglia

added items to my check list

Post by gingoglia »

Dave, don't just touch the canopy at the top.
Push on the canopy at ALL THREE canopy latch points to check.
(I had 2 out of 3 latched one time.)

Good idea
I am quite sure I will not take off again without pushing a bit here and there..
It was my 4th pattern.. cant figure where I missed it
I'd love to get right back up but the school is short one plane..
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

Three latch points? I must have an older version as I only have two.
Dave
designrs

Post by designrs »

What I was refering to as "three latch points" is to not just press on the top center of the canopy, but also both sides. (actually 2 latches).
You are correct Dave.
designrs

Re: added items to my check list

Post by designrs »

gingoglia wrote:I'd love to get right back up but the school is short one plane..
Congrats on wanting to go up ASAP after a mishap like that! It's probably a lot like riding a horse. I'd get right back up and do some flying in whatever plane is readily available. (with instructor of course, if unfamiliar aircraft.)

So go fly something!!

:lol:
drseti

Post by drseti »

If you liked the SportCruiser, you'll love Milan's latest design. See if you can get a ride in the Bristell. Maybe with Mike Belliner.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US