Data is in: Sport Pilots more prone to accidents than GA pil

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

BTW for any licensed PP out there, all you need is a biannual but I strongly suggest a good checkout in an LSA.
True if your medical certificate is valid. If not you revert to sport pilot rules and need category and class endorsements in your logbook
rsteele

Post by rsteele »

All this begs the question, how long does it take to go the other way? Say from an LSA to a 172?
rfane

Post by rfane »

Jim Stewart wrote:True if your medical certificate is valid. If not you revert to sport pilot rules and need category and class endorsements in your logbook
Jim,

I don't believe this is the case. Holder of a PP-ASEL should not need any additional endorsements for LSA, unless they are for tailwheel or sea planes. The requirement is that they adhere to sport pilot rules, i.e. 10K' ceiling, no flying at night, etc. They don't require endorsements for airspace or speeds, as the PP-ASEL does not have restrictions, and the training was received while earning the cert.
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

I certainly see your logic, but I can't find anything in the FAR's that backs it up. I don't recall any regulation that exempts a PP flying as a LS from any of the LS conditions.
Pawlander

Endorsements

Post by Pawlander »

From the 2009 AIM (61.303)

If you hold only a US drivers license and you hold at least a recreational pilot certificate with a category and class rating, then you may operate any light sport aircraft in that category and class, and you do not have to hold any of the endorsements required by this subpart, but you must comply with the limitations in 61.315.
Daidalos

Post by Daidalos »

Jim Stewart wrote:
BTW for any licensed PP out there, all you need is a biannual but I strongly suggest a good checkout in an LSA.
True if your medical certificate is valid. If not you revert to sport pilot rules and need category and class endorsements in your logbook
Although I did not explicitly state it, I was referring to excising SP privileges with a PP license and no medical.

The chart in 61.303 makes it easy to see. I was thinking specifically of 61.303(2)(iii)(A)(1) which says “You must comply with the limitations in §61.315, except §61.315(c)(14) and, if a private pilot or higher, §61.315(c)(7).”

NOTE except §61.315(c)(14) and §61.315(c)(7)
Which means you do not need any additional endorsements;
(1) to fly in A,B,C & D airspace or land at airports within them.
(2) The speed endorsement for Vh above 87 kts.
Hence the conclusion all a PP needs is a current biannual.

You can find all this at gpoaccess.gov which is where the FAA website point to for all CFR's.

Thanks to others who have already pointefd this out. This ismy first time back since may last post.
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

Daidalos Greek: Δαίδαλος
Remember don't fly too close to the Sun.
tech10002

Post by tech10002 »

Here's a table that makes it easy. http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guida ... kup/61.303

You definitely do not need the logbook endorsements if you hold a private with an expired medical and a valid driver's license.
Cub flyer

Post by Cub flyer »

Has there been any accidents due to lack of medical?

Specifically a medically related problem with a sport pilot.

Or are the accidents just in a sport pilot airplane.

If you count all the pilots transitioning to fly as sport pilots. Standard and LSA airplanes the accident averages might work out better. But who knows how many are doing that.

Most accidents are due to lack of aircraft specific training and unusual handling characteristics in the LSA designs.

Hopefully that does not make Avemco and other insurance companies pull out of the sport pilot market before more easy to fly LSA designs become available.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Moving this thread to the Safety Corner forum.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

My old instructor said that I would be a better pilot than someone who trained in a general aviation plane because the CTSW was so very responsive to the simpliest control movement and was so hard to get on the ground.
Another instructor told me "when you move to bigger planes you'll be surprised at how ez it is. The bigger planes stay in place when you are on final and your CTSW doesnt."
artp

Post by artp »

ussyorktown wrote:My old instructor said that I would be a better pilot than someone who trained in a general aviation plane because the CTSW was so very responsive to the simpliest control movement and was so hard to get on the ground.
Another instructor told me "when you move to bigger planes you'll be surprised at how ez it is. The bigger planes stay in place when you are on final and your CTSW doesnt."
I think that is true but since I don't think flying (especially with a passenger) should be an adrenalin sport, I got rid of mine.
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

We just had to learn techniques for these unique air ships.
I pull back power on downwind mid field and the plane goes to 61 and I add 15 degrees flaps.
If the spirits of Orville and Wilbur are with me, I can coast at 61 kph losing 500 feet all the way down to the numbers. Then I ride along the runway. When I see that I am below the horizon and about a foot above the runway and my speed is 45 or thereabouts I flare.

I do hate being shoved all over the sky because of the thermals but I pretend that I am bombing the Nazi's and the flack is all around me but not hitting me.
designrs

Post by designrs »

ussyorktown wrote:I do hate being shoved all over the sky because of the thermals but I pretend that I am bombing the Nazi's and the flack is all around me but not hitting me.
What a colorful explanation! Send it on to Rod Machado for one of his humorous book illustrations!
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

I also wear a flight suit (I say because of all the pockets) but I want to go full Walter Mitty.[img]http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj5 ... 1343953944[/img]
(Dan with Dog he rescued this week with his light sport 5 gph plane. Makes that hobby more affordable)
designrs

Post by designrs »

ussyorktown wrote:... "when you move to bigger planes you'll be surprised at how ez it is. The bigger planes stay in place"
As a Light Sport Student Pilot with solo privledges I have never really flown a heavier Certified GA Aircraft... thinking to go try a Cirrus (flew a simulator once)... any comments on what to expect flying and landing the real thing compared to something like the PiperSport that I've been flying?