Sun 'N Fun 2015

Sun n' Fun Every Spring Lakeland Florida : Come attend this huge fly-in and tradeshow/convention. http://www.sun-n-fun.org

Moderator: drseti

Flocker

Sun 'N Fun 2015

Post by Flocker »

Anyone plan on attending?
Aviation Real Estate Broker
Jack Tyler

Re: Sun 'N Fun 2015

Post by Jack Tyler »

The RAF will be there in the same form & fashion as last year. We've relocated from a large double booth next to the FAA building out to the RAF Fire Hub. We offer scalding hot coffee and fresh (5 min old) Quaker baked donuts every morning, beginning around 7 a.m., just to have the pleasure of your company. (We averaged ~30 gals/day of coffee and ~15 dozen donuts/day. Let's see if we can break last year's record.) We'll also be repeating the RAF 's signature meal, a Potato Bake, one evening. No charge, all imaginable potato fixings, the point being to provide everyone a chance to relax, catch up with one another and - if it's chilly as it was several days last year - enjoy the fire. Open to anyone who wants to learn a bit more about protecting & expanding the inventory of recreational airstrips in recreationally interesting destinations around the country.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Big "maybe" for me and Karen.

Depends on a lot of things beyond our control at this point.

Will let you guys know.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I'm having some maintenance issues with the CTSW, if I can clear them up I might head down there with some friends that are planning the trip.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

MrMorden wrote:I'm having some maintenance issues with the CTSW
What kind of issues?
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Flocker wrote:
What kind of issues?
Go read the CTFlier forum...basically seeing some non-destructive trim tab flutter at 130-135kt. Not enough to break anything, but plenty to make you sit up straight in your seat and draw it up a little. Working with Flight Design to troubleshoot it.

The airplane is not grounded, but restricted to 115kt or less until it's resolved. I'm probably not taking it on any long trips until it's figured out.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Smart man!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

MrMorden wrote:Go read the CTFlier forum...basically seeing some non-destructive trim tab flutter at 130-135kt.
That was an interesting read. Good luck! Sounds like FD is doing an excellent job of Customer Service. Gotta love that.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Flocker wrote:
MrMorden wrote:Go read the CTFlier forum...basically seeing some non-destructive trim tab flutter at 130-135kt.
That was an interesting read. Good luck! Sounds like FD is doing an excellent job of Customer Service. Gotta love that.
Agreed, they have been really good. Been on the phone almost daily with Tom Peghiny, the FD USA President.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

SportPilot wrote:Is it possible to get a live view of your trim tab on your IPad using your GoPro?
I have a good video of the problem, but I took it off of YouTube at the request of Flight Design, while they troubleshoot the situation.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Jack: So very much looking forward to meeting you in person, learning more about RAF... not to mention all the goodies and events you have planned.

Eddie: Hope you make it. We really didn't get to talk much at Sebring... was hoping to catch up with you again.

Flocker: Always a pleasure... Are you still plane hunting?

Andy & all: Come on down!
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

SportPilot wrote:
MrMorden wrote:
SportPilot wrote:Is it possible to get a live view of your trim tab on your IPad using your GoPro?
I have a good video of the problem, but I took it off of YouTube at the request of Flight Design, while they troubleshoot the situation.
I saw the video. I'm talking about monitoring the trim tab until you get the problem resolved.
I don't really have the gear to do that. I could use a GoPro with wireless to monitor things, but that software only updates the frame every second or two, you'd never see the 5Hz+ oscillations of the trim tab. Though I must say when it's happening there is no doubt about it, so I don't think a video monitoring solution is needed.

I've never seen any issues at all below 130kt, and the factory recommendation is to remain at or below 115kt, which seems safe and reasonable to me. I have not flown since I made that video a couple of weeks ago, and now the factory is discussing that they may want me to send them the stabilator for them to evaluate. So I might not get to fly for a while anyway.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

MrMorden wrote:
Flocker wrote:
What kind of issues?
Go read the CTFlier forum...basically seeing some non-destructive trim tab flutter at 130-135kt. Not enough to break anything, but plenty to make you sit up straight in your seat and draw it up a little. Working with Flight Design to troubleshoot it.

The airplane is not grounded, but restricted to 115kt or less until it's resolved. I'm probably not taking it on any long trips until it's figured out.
Wow, 135 kts? At what RPM? What's the max cruise?!
200 hours of flight and counting