Sun 'N Fun 2014

Sun n' Fun Every Spring Lakeland Florida : Come attend this huge fly-in and tradeshow/convention. http://www.sun-n-fun.org

Moderator: drseti

Flocker

Sun 'N Fun 2014

Post by Flocker »

5 weeks away... and no chatter? Anyone plan on attending this event?
Aviation Real Estate Broker
MovingOn

Re: Sun 'N Fun 2014

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

And because you're a good husband (and wish to remain so), your response was "yes, dear." :)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

I am going.. just not sure if I am flying my Gobosh down from Colorado or going down commercial. I unfortunately have meetings in DC that week, so have limited time to get down there and hate to fly when driven by a schedule like that. The weather is also always a question mark on that kind of trip. Failing that, I am likely going to just fly down there commercial. I guess traveling every week for work and getting air and hotel points is worth something :) I am looking at being there for the weekend.

Carl
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder
garbageman

Post by garbageman »

I will be there. Flying to Tampa--rental car to SNF.

David
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Everyone attending would be welcome to use the RAF Fire Hub as a rendezvous point during the day and/or as a place to put tired feet up and compare notes...and of course to join us around the fire any evening during the event. It's located just past the Corn Roast where the road forks before taking you into the large campground area on the west side of Sun 'n Fun. If you exit the show grounds west-bound - past the 4 main exhibitor halls - you'll next pass the large 'swap meet' hangar (full of other folks' castoffs soon to become someone else's coveted purchase) at which point you are almost to the Corn Roast area.

We'll have a booth presence as well but it won't be as much our focus this year. Our RAF booth more often served as a gathering place for members and their friends/family rather than a recruiting/sales venue, so we thought we'd rearrange our presence to take advantage of the large Fire Hub area for those social purposes. And quite literally, anyone with an interest in flying to interesting destinations is welcome to join us, regardless of any RAF membership status. So please feel free to drop by the Fire Hub.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

I plan to be there Friday and Saturday and look forward to seeing and test flying the Tecnam Astore.
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

Does anyone have any thoughts on other local airports to land and leave the plane besides LAL? I am thinking it might be easier in and out to go into another place but I want somewhere I can get a rental car easily and not have to pay to park. I looked at both Orlando and Tampa exec but those look like it would cost to tie down, as would Kissimee. Just looking at options as I wait to see how the weather between Colorado and Florida looks for that week.

Carl
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

'Morning, Carl...

You may have some priorities you haven't mentioned or you may weight some more than others, so shopping around a bit by phone is probably worth your time. (E.g. if your intended stay is one or two days, a tie-down fee might not be as important to you as an inexpensive or readily available rental car. Similarly, if staying a short time, a shorter drive time might be more important to you to make the most of your time there). One airport in the vicinity that generally seems to be well regarded, hosts gatherings by owner groups, is highly rated on AirNav (with lots of comments you can skim thru) is Winter Haven's Gilbert Airport - https://www.airnav.com/airport/KGIF

Another option, if proximity is important, might be Plant City - https://www.airnav.com/airport/KPCM. My impression is that some years it is less actively used for S'nF-related flight demos than others, which might influence the level of services available to you. Not as many reviews on that FBO but, again, that might be a good place to start. You're outside the Tampa Class B there so the approach in/out is unencumbered, yet the drive is very short.

IMO you're right to steer clear of the Orlando area.

One issue you haven't mentioned that you might want to consider a bit is hangar storage for your stay. Bulk hangar storage rates seem to vary greatly - as in GREATLY! - from one airport FBO to another. I'd suggest you put that Q on your list when calling. And again, a shorter stay might mean the hangar rate is less important than the 'insurance' (aka: peace of mind) of being protected from some errant convective madness. Obviously, totally your call which you can make on arrival after consulting the f'cast wx. Good luck on the shopping and don't forget to stop by and see us at the RAF Fire Hub - I'll 'buy' you a cup of coffee and something despicably sweet & fattening.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

Thanks Jack.. I heard back from Plant City.. they are charging $10 a night for grass parking and $25 a night for tarmac parking. Hertz will deliver to the FBO and have it available after their normal hours. I need to talk to Winter Haven and see what they charge. I was there for the storm a few years ago and I hear you on the possible hangar parking. I have some home made anchors we used at OSH a couple years ago when they got hit by a really strong windy storm right before we were ready to depart. We were waiting for it to pass and got to see a few planes get blown around. Luckily our tie downs did a great job holding the Gobosh down.

I will definitely stop by to see you.

Carl
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

BTW, Winter Haven got back to me within hours. They were very courteous and are significantly less expensive than Plant City. They are $15 for the week on the ramp.

Carl
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

Well the weather got the best of me. Winds at my airport this morning were howling and all of my potential first fuel stops were too windy too. If I waited I would end up dealing with potential severe thunderstorms through TX and OK. So here I sit on a commercial flight down to the show. Not as much fun as flying ones own aircraft down but my odds of making it are higher :)

Carl
Last edited by newamiga on Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Carl, that was exactly the right call. Enjoy the show!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »