Sun N' Fun 2013

Sun n' Fun Every Spring Lakeland Florida : Come attend this huge fly-in and tradeshow/convention. http://www.sun-n-fun.org

Moderator: drseti

newamiga

Sun N' Fun 2013

Post by newamiga »

So since Sebring was kind of a bust for me this year in terms of weather and being able to fly my plane down from Colorado, I am now aiming at possibly shooting to fly into Sun N Fun this year. I thought the turn out was quite good last year and hope it is as active this year. I am wondering how many other LSA folks from this board are looking at heading to Sun N Fun this year?

Carl
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder
deltafox

Re: Sun N' Fun 2013

Post by deltafox »

Carl, I just started to do some preliminary planning. So far it is still a possibility. Looks to me like 5 legs of 2 hours each from here. Possibly leave the weekend prior and come home the weekend after. Haven't checked on lodging yet.
Dave
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Carl, Patricia & I hope to be there. If you fly in to camp, you'll be greeted and directed by the RAF Cadet Corps that flies over every Spring. Really good group of young folks, and all of them eager to learn more about flying so consider offering them an introduction to your own LSA. (Some of us make our a/c available each Spring for a pre-S'nF Florida round-robin, so that all the Cadets have a chance to fly from one Point A to B, see Florida in that special way that only an a/c can provide, and give them a taste for flying in America's airspace. Maybe some of you might be interested in doing this?

A big caution about this (and subsequent years') S'nF schedule: It's shifted to several weeks later in the Spring, which is going to mean quite uncomfortable daytime temps are likely as will be thunderbumpers. Think insect repellant, light/cool clothes, a hands-free way to carry several water bottles so you can stay hydrated each day, good tie-downs and a sturdy tent. Thankfully, last year there were several salad bar-type buffets available during the daytime but, overall, it seems to remain a difficult venue in which to eat healthy. And since it's tough to fly in all the healthy foods one might want for a week's period, trying to arrange a group trip to a nearby Publix grocery store seems almost a necessity.

I hope everyone visiting S'nF will stop by our RAF tent (the 'other' RAF - Recreational Aviation Foundation) at some point and say hello. We'll give you some information on how we're opening up backcountry airstrips in interesting locations all around the country.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
msalamon

Post by msalamon »

I'm planning on being there-and hope to get a chance to demo some LSAs!
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

Last post here was in January... we're 5 weeks away and counting.
I attended last year and, weather permitting, I'm going to try and make it this year...anyone else?
Aviation Real Estate Broker
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

I am still looking at going. It appears the weather is going to work out. Of course I managed to get the flu for the second time this season at the end of last weekend. I am hoping I am at 100% by Friday or Saturday to depart Colorado. I am hoping to get into Lakeland on Sunday vice Monday to avoid a little bit of the arrival rush. I figure having flown into OSH last year, this arrival looks less busy and easier. Hopefully my assumptions are correct. I will likely be there until Friday so I can make it back west by the end of the weekend.

Carl
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Carl, you'll find the Lake Parker arrival a very comfortable experience on Monday (the day before the opening) as well as Sunday, just in case you get delayed. (Lake Parker arrival begins on Sunday, altho' the show doesn't begin until Tuesday). Be sure to review the NOTAM carefully as it always seems to do a vague job of clarifying at what point you need to switch to Tower from Lake Parker's approach freq. And of course you are *very* likely to never need to key the mike; just listen, monitor your progress relative to the visual waypoints, and keep your head on a swivel.

I'm assuming you are headed for General Aircraft Camping (GAC) and will have your sign indicating that destination on the field. After landing and taxiing onto the taxiway intended to deliver you to General Aircraft Camping, you'll be directed in part by RAF Cadets who fly over from Britain every year to handle this duty. A really good group of guys/gals who are oh-so excited to be in the USA and handling ground traffic for such a big event. Be sure to take a moment to meet one or two of them and invite them to look over your a/c. That's their reward for working in the hot sun for 8 days.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

Thanks for the info Jack. I will be sure to talk to the cadets and show them the plane. I was stationed at RAF Mildenhall flying in the backend of RC-135's for almost 8 years and loved living over there.

Carl
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

I am currently hoping to be there on Saturday, the 13th.

I hope to get to meet anyone from the board. PM me and I'll give you my cell number.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
FrankR

Post by FrankR »

I will be there, with some friends tomorrow, Saturday during the day.

I would very much be interested in meeting any SportPilotTak friends.

Let me know.
Frank
Fayetteville, NC