Subpart K Flight Instructor with Sport Pilot Rating

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

drseti

Re: Subpart K Flight Instructor with Sport Pilot Rating

Post by drseti »

DPBOHCPA wrote: I wonder if those CFI-SPs (to use the FAA example) will be seen as "second class citizens" in the instructor world.
They already are. Consider that a Sport Pilot can use his or her hours of training toward higher ratings only if the instruction was given by a CFI. So, we already have fully rated CFIs telling sport pilot candidates they shouldn't be training with a CFI-SP if they want to go on for the Private, Commercial, etc.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Paul Hamilton

Re: Subpart K Flight Instructor with Sport Pilot Rating

Post by Paul Hamilton »

drseti wrote:
DPBOHCPA wrote: I wonder if those CFI-SPs (to use the FAA example) will be seen as "second class citizens" in the instructor world.
They already are. Consider that a Sport Pilot can use his or her hours of training toward higher ratings only if the instruction was given by a CFI. So, we already have fully rated CFIs telling sport pilot candidates they shouldn't be training with a CFI-SP if they want to go on for the Private, Commercial, etc.
Hopefully everyone will give the Subpart K ASEL CFI's, letting their medical expire, and teaching as a CFI with a sport pilot rating the dignity and respect of a "CFI" and not be called a "second class citizen" because they are teaching sport pilots. I know a number of CFI's who are or will be doing this. Everyone is one medical away from being a sport pilot or sport pilot CFI.

Secondly, I hope everyone will give the "pilots" holding a private pilot certificate, letting their medical expire, and flying as a sport pilot the dignity and respect of a "pilot" and not be called a "second class citizen/pilot" because they are flying as sport pilots. I know many pilots who are very well respected who would be offended by this. In fact, some are war heroes who want to stay flying.

I also hope the rocket pilots do not call the jet pilots "second class citizens", the jet pilot CFI's do not call the piston engine CFI's "second class citizens", helicopter CFI's do not call any airplane CFI sport or private a "second class citizens" etc, etc.

It was the intent for the CFIS (certificated flight instructor with a Sport Pilot rating) hours to be used towards the private pilot, however, the regs were interpreted so only the Subpart K CFI hours can be used towards the 20 hours minimum dual for private. This may be changed over time, since most of the pilot skills of sport pilot and private pilot are the same (minus night, VOR/radio navigation and some towered airspace).

It is anticipated that in the future the sport pilot CFI hours for most of the similar tasks will count towards the private pilot certificate. The additional skills such as night, and radio/VOR navigation, and some class B towered airspace, will be required by a private pilot CFI. There are new rules rumored to be released soon (do not hold your breath for rule change releases), which may accomplish this. We shall see. This would solve the current problem.

I know some CFIS who are much better "flight instructors" than Subpart K CFI's right now.

I suggest we give all pilots and instructors, whatever rating they decide to pursue, the respect as a pilot and CFI and get over the pecking order. This will provide a much better impression to the public/students to start flying in the first place.
See my blog on pecking order for another viewpoint.
http://learntoflyblog.com/2009/02/24/wh ... ght-for-m/
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites