Using SP to as a route to an instrument rating.

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

rsteele

Using SP to as a route to an instrument rating.

Post by rsteele »

Let's say a student started flight training with the intention of advancing as quickly as possible to a commercial pilot. My reading of the regulations indicate he (or she) would be be better off to get an SP ticket first, so he could immediately start logging time as PIC for an instrument rating. I also don't see any prohibition on taking instrument training as a SP, you just can't take the test until you have advanced through the PPL. Is this actually a possibility? Has anyone done it? It seems like it could save the student a few thousand dollars over starting with a PPL.

Ron (who has no intentions to do this, just curious.)
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Pilot in command time can start as solo time in any airplane. It is all equal see 61.51 (e)

I do see where the fuel and operational costs of a LSA would save money. But it would cost more to take the SP knowledge test and SP checkride. Maybe you can solo sooner in a LSA but for the career/fast track it is hard to see a big savings in hours?

PIC time is PIC time in an airplane.

Altouugh I think it is good to be a SP pilot first I do not seee any reduction in PIC time. Perhaps I am missing something.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites