Logging pilot-in-command

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

MikeM

Logging pilot-in-command

Post by MikeM »

When is it appropriate for a student pilot to log pilot-in-command hours? There seems to be a difference of opinion betwwen the instructors I deal with. One says it is correct to log the time only when the student is flying solo and another says anytime the student is at the controls. So which is correct? Thanks in advance.
artp

Post by artp »

I beleave you can only log dual time as PIC after you have been endorsed for solo flights.
Jeff Tipton

Logging pilot time

Post by Jeff Tipton »

The following is taken from LOGGING PILOT-IN-COMMAND TIME

A student pilot can now log PIC. That’s new, and since there is no restriction, your logbook can be updated so that all student solo time prior to August 4, 1997 may be logged as PIC. When an instructor is aboard, since the student is not rated in the aircraft, flight instruction is still logged as dual not PIC.

For more information see the following link.

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/fie ... 20TIME.pdf
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

it is always best to go to the regs:
PIC time is

e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time.
{New-2004-17 (e)(1) revised July 27, 2004, effective September 1, 2004}
(1) A sport, recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log pilot-in-command time only for that flight time during which that person--
{New-2004-17 (e)(1)(i) revised July 27, 2004, effective September 1, 2004}
(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated or has privileges;
(ii) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft; or
(iii) Except for a recreational pilot, is acting as pilot in command of an aircraft on which more than one pilot is required under the type certification of the aircraft or the regulations under which the flight is conducted.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
drseti

Post by drseti »

Paul Hamilton wrote: (1) A sport, recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log pilot-in-command time only for that flight time during which that person--

<snip>

(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which the pilot is rated or has privileges;
Paul, note that this does not address the issue of us, as CFIs, logging PIC time while our students are sole manipulators of the controls. That's covered in a sparate FAR (though I don't recall which one - maybe you do).

Safe skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Paul, note that this does not address the issue of us, as CFIs, logging PIC time while our students are sole manipulators of the controls. That's covered in a sparate FAR (though I don't recall which one - maybe you do).

Safe skies,
Paul

it is buried deep in 61.51 Pilot Logbooks

We as CFI's can log PIC time plus training time. Double bonus.
A little further in 61.51

(e) Logging pilot-in-command flight time.

(3) A certificated flight instructor may log pilot in command flight time for all flight time while serving as the authorized instructor in an operation if the instructor is rated to act as pilot in command of that aircraft.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites