S-LSA for PP training / checkride?

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

cavscout96

S-LSA for PP training / checkride?

Post by cavscout96 »

I'm considering purchasing an LSA with a partner. He'll use it to do SP, and I intend to use it to continue work toward my PP.

I know PP requires night and unusual attitude / basic instrument.

My question is what specifically should I make sure the S_SLA is equipped with in order to do ALL of my PP training.

- AI ?
- Lights?
- Heading indicator? (or can I use the wet compass)?

the FAA PP test administration PDF doesn't really go into the detail I'm loking for.

Thanks in advance

Bill
rfane

Re: S-LSA for PP training / checkride?

Post by rfane »

cavscout96 wrote:I know PP requires night and unusual attitude / basic instrument.

My question is what specifically should I make sure the S_SLA is equipped with in order to do ALL of my PP training.

- AI ?
- Lights?
- Heading indicator? (or can I use the wet compass)?
Bill,

The FAR's are a good place to start. FAR 91.205 and 91.209 specifically address equipment required for VFR and VFR Night.

Just as important are the Aircraft Operating Instructions / Limitations. For S-LSA, these are determined by the manufacturer of the aircraft, engine, etc. In order to fly an S-LSA at night, the manufacturer either must specifically state it is ok to do, or not prohibit doing so.

An example of this is the Flight Design AOI I received with my CT, did not specifically prohibit VFR Night. I had purchased the aircraft with a night lighting package as well. However, the manual I received for the Rotax engine stated VFR day only. This was actually changed in Revision 4 to allow Night VFR, if the aircraft was equipped with specific electrical system requirements, which mine has.
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
cavscout96

Post by cavscout96 »

Roger,

thanks!

I hadn't even considered POH and installed equipment limitations.

Just figured lights= night capable. etc.

sounds like I have much to consider.
rfane

Post by rfane »

cavscout96 wrote:Roger,

thanks!

I hadn't even considered POH and installed equipment limitations.

Just figured lights= night capable. etc.

sounds like I have much to consider.
Bill,

Most of the market share leaders in S-LSA provide a night flight package as an option. You should be able to order one equipped as such, but the way the regs. are written, is the owner and Pilot In Command bear the responsibility for ensuring compliance to the regs., not the manufacturer. That means you need to do your homework to make sure the aircraft is legal, as you will be responsible if you own and fly the plane that doesn't meet the requirements.

A good place to start is by picking up a copy of the FAR / AIM (Federal Aviation Regulations / Aeronautical Information Manual). You can find it at your local pilot shop, and in most Barnes & Noble or Borders, in the Transportation section.
Roger Fane
Former owner of a 2006 Flight Design CTsw
Helen

Post by Helen »

ASTM standards go above and beyond 91.205 for night flight. Everything in 91.205 is required PLUS and attitude indicator of sorts, and also panel lighting for both flight and engine instruments. If you are using a Dynon as the attitude indicator, you'll also need the optional back up battery.

helen
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

I would check the Pilots Operating Handbook POH or Aircraft Operating Instructions AOI (new acronym AOI to be confused with Angle of Incidence) for the aircraft.

This is the final say for what the aircraft can do.

Even if the manufactures or sales tells you it is night or IFR equipped.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites