Log Book Sign Off's & Speed

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

rab23us

Log Book Sign Off's & Speed

Post by rab23us »

Sir;

Reading through the SP reg's and training requirements there were a couple of things that I noticed that I am asking for clarification on.

1.) Maximum speed for LSA 120kts or 138mph. But when trained and until signed off in the log book Maximum speed is only 100 mph. (Does this happen after ceck ride with DPE or can it happen before).

2.) Class B,C,D airspace, SP can't fly into or out of Class B,C, & D airspace and if I read it correctly into or out of a towered airport (again could these sign off's occur before the exam with DPE?)

The reason I ask these questions is my home airport Decatur Il. is towered and under ATC. The FBO at my home airport does offer SP training but there are a couple of CFI/IP's that belong to the local EAA and they have aircraft that would qualify as LSA, that they may be willing to intruct in, but they would require operating in the local area flying in and out of Decatur.

This is one of my only hopes at this point in time to even start SP training without having to go through some accelerated training programs.

Ron
Ron B.
Midwest USA
Home Airport KDEC
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

ron,

i'm not the examiner but i can answer your questions.

at first your instructor will already have a certificate ppl/cfi that will permit training out of the local class D and at any speed.

prior to solo, assuming you will solo at your towered airport you will need these endorsements. you will only need the speed endorsement if the trainer is fast enough.

towered airports are class D unless they are class C or class B

no worries