Flight training requirements

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

Jeff Tipton

Flight training requirements

Post by Jeff Tipton »

A student has been signed off by an instructor for a private pilot checkride and due to scheduling conflicts does not take the checkride and over ninety days have elapsed. The instructor that signed the student off has taken a job else where.

Question of the day?

Referencing § 61.103 Eligibility requirements: General.
(f) Receive flight training and a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:

(1) Conducted the training in the areas of operation listed in §61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and

(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required practical test.

How much time is the new instructor required to spend with the student to prepare for the checkride?

Other than a review of the maneuvers required by § 61.107 Flight proficiency would the instructor be required to reteach the above maneuvers.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Jeff,
I personally would go up and see if the student was proficient at the maneuvers and teach them where they need help. I would go through each maneuver and make sure the student was ready, provide some tips, this would be training.

In addition there is the Oral portion that is just as important.

If I am going to recommend anyone, I would go by the book to make sure the student knows his stuff because any failure reflects bad on the recommending instructor.

Would expect to spend at least the same amount of time a checkride takes (ground and air) before recommending anyone if they know their stuff.

I would never just rubber stamp any one because he/she was recommended by another instructor.

The best time to take a checkride is right after ou get your recommendation when you are current.

Hopefully this is helpful,
Paul
Last edited by Paul Hamilton on Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
Hydroguy2

Post by Hydroguy2 »

Actually there is a minimum time requirement.

FAR 61.109 requires a CFI to sign off that the "student" has received 3hrs training within the preceding 60 days.

So in Jeff's example: since it was >60days, he would require the 3 hrs, even if his original instructor was around.
It just one Dam job after another

Brian
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Yes, as Brian pointed out for private in 61.109 a 4, there is the minimum of 3 hours if the student went past the 60 days.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
Jeff Tipton

Post by Jeff Tipton »

I do appreciate the responses to the question and we are all in agreement that the student would need the three hour prep time in the preceding sixty days and prepped for the oral exam.

Let’s try this a different way. A student is nearing the completion of training and has not been recommended for the checkride and their instructor departs for a new job.

The new instructor would obviously need to at least review the maneuvers for the purpose of the checkride endorsement. The question is: Would the new CFI need to make logbook endorsements verifying they have personally instructed the student on all of the required flight maneuvers or would the logbook endorsements from the previous student be sufficient.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

I think I understand he question but any logbook endorsement for the checkride must say that the recommending instructor has trained the student in all the maneuvers.
Jeff Tipton

Post by Jeff Tipton »

Thanks for the reply Paul.

To sum it up if I can.

The instructor should evaluate each of the maneuvers in the PTS and could at the instructors discretion make a single logbook entry attesting that they have given the candidate instruction in the required flight maneuvers required by CFR 61.107 in lieu of individual entries for each maneuver.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Yes. My advice is never sign off anybody for a checkride (generic signoff) unless you know they can perform all the maneuvers within tolerance, exercise ADM and be able to answer all the questions for the oral.