PPL Examiner who will fly in an LSA

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

jlong16

PPL Examiner who will fly in an LSA

Post by jlong16 »

Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to answer our sometimes boring questions.

I asked this question before the board was hijacked, hacked and destroyed but never got to the answer and thought I would post it up again.

I am trying to locate an examiner who will give PPL / Comm / Instrument etc. exams in an LSA anywhere near Central Florida. Seems like no one wants to be bothered flying something different.

Without examiners, it is hard to get the exam unless you spend a lot of wasted money renting 152's for the express purpose of taking a test, even though you will never fly one again.

Thanks.
CTflyer

Post by CTflyer »

Until Paul chimes in ... you can get name, address and phone number of all the Designated Examiners in your area direct from the FAA:

http://av-info.faa.gov/DesigneeSearch.asp

Are you just asking why you can't find a DE that wants to do the exams in an LSA? Isn't it up to the examiner which types of aircraft he/she wants to fly?

I'd think that's like opening a flight school and buying only DC-3's. And then wondering why you can't find a DE to use them for Instrument exams.

Man - if only the 150/152 could be flown by certificated sport pilots ....

Tom
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

For A PPL checkride there is no reason a DPE can not use a LSA if it is property equipped to do the test, specifically "Basic Instrument Maneuvers". There is no requirement for a Sport Pilot DPE time in make/model, there might be some requirement for private airplane. This would have to be discussed with the private DPE.

Whether we like it or not, it is up to the DPE what aircraft they will do the test in. I have refused to do tests in experimental because it just looked like an aircraft I did not want to get into. Maybe with Cessna promising a LSA, the DPE's might realize it is just another brand of airplane.

As CTflyer comments, go to the FAA web site and bug the DPE's until you find someone.

Best,
Paul
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites