How to become a Sport Pilot CFI

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

Paul Hamilton

How to become a Sport Pilot CFI

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Since this is a commom question I am posting this as a new topic which should answer most questions on this

Prerequisites to be a Sport Pilot CFI

The applicant must hold a sport pilot or higher pilot certificate with the category and class privileges as appropriate to the flight instructor privileges sought. The candidate must be at least 18 years old.

Experience Requirements

Airplane and weight-shift-control category instructors need 150 hours of total flight time as a pilot, which must include at least:

(i) 100 hours of flight time as pilot in command in powered aircraft,
(ii) 50 hours of flight time in category,
(iii) 25 hours of cross-country flight time,
(iv) 10 hours of cross-country flight time in category, and
(v) 15 hours of flight time as pilot in command in category that is a
light-sport aircraft.

Additional Instructor Skills

To become an instructor pilots must build additional skills in the Fundamentals of Instruction and Technical Subject Areas. All the sport pilot tasks must be mastered to:

Perform the maneuvers and procedures at a higher level than the sport pilot tolerances.
Have instructional knowledge of tasks.
Have knowledge of common errors and be able to identify, analyze, and correct mistakes.

How to Acquire Certified Flight Instructor Privileges
New instructor candidate

Hold at least a Sport Pilot certificate.
Receive training and endorsement from Sport Pilot CFI to take the computer based knowledge test and the Fundamentals of Instruction (FOI) tests. The easiest is a home study and the course found at http://www.ap-stores.com/p-175-sport-pi ... p-kit.aspx.
Pass the FOI test.
Pass the CFI knowledge test for specific category.
Meet ALL Sport Pilot CFI requirements per 61.407 through 61.411. Time logged in an Ultralight is allowed per FAR 61.53 until January 31, 2008 and this ability to use the ultralight time ends January 31, 2012. However, the checkride must be in an N-numbered aircraft.
Obtain and log training within 2 calinder months before practical test with the recomending CFI.
Obtain endorsement for practical test from Sport Pilot CFI in log book and on 8710-11 form.
Pass CFI sport practical test with DPE/SPIE.
Receive Sport Pilot CFI Certificate and log book endorsement for type of aircraft used for Practical test.

Training materials for a CFIS applicent are found at www.ap-stores.com
NEW - A complete explanation for CFIS applicants plus CFIs wanting to operate as CFIS is at www.beasportpilot.com under "Already a Pilot"
Last edited by Paul Hamilton on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
frfly172

Post by frfly172 »

specific category knowledge test? Does anyone offer a cfis training course? is light sport a
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Yes the CFI Prepware and CFI test prep book includes the CFIS (CFI Sport Pilot) with specific category questions and the FOI tests. Both knowledge tests for CFIS. The Prepware CD also provides the endorsements for the knowledge tests. Find these at www.ap-stores.com
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
colored-blind

Can I be colored-blind to be a Sport Pilot CFI?

Post by colored-blind »

Just curious since you can be colored blind and be a sportpilot can you also become a CFI?

Also if I have my PPL can I become a CFI for sport pilot since the PPL is above the Sport Pilot?
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

frfly172 wrote:specific category knowledge test? Does anyone offer a cfis training course? is light sport a
yes we have a comprehensive program specificly for a sport pilot CFI applicent.
Information is at:

http://lsapilot.beasportpilot.com/airpl ... nstructor/

and
http://sport-pilot-training.com/sport-p ... applicant/

You can get all the training materials to study, pas your FAA tests and teach at:

http://www.ap-stores.com/p-181-sport-pi ... craft.aspx
Paul Hamilton

Re: Can I be colored-blind to be a Sport Pilot CFI?

Post by Paul Hamilton »

colored-blind wrote:Just curious since you can be colored blind and be a sportpilot can you also become a CFI?

Also if I have my PPL can I become a CFI for sport pilot since the PPL is above the Sport Pilot?
If you got through your private pilot checkride and 3rd class medical where they do a colored blind test, you could probably get through your CFIS. Your drivers license with restrictions and your self evaluation are the medical requirementsYou would have to know your sectional pretty good with all the colors on the map to be able to get through the checkride plus teach.

and yes, any sport or private can go for a CFI with a sport pilot rating (CFIS).

Details on becoming a sport CFI can be found at:

http://sport-pilot-training.com/sport-p ... applicant/

and

http://lsapilot.beasportpilot.com/airpl ... nstructor/
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I'm red/green deficient colorblind.

I can only get the first plate on the test (big-time FAIL).

In the 1970's I went up with the FAA and properly identified red/green/white light-gun signals shot at us from Opa Locka tower. On that basis I got a "Waiver of Demonstrated Ability", which I still have to carry and present at each medical (and was good for a First Class when I went for one).

Being totally colorblind is relatively rare. In any case red/green deficient shouldn't stop anyone from getting the medical required for CFI (unless something has changed).

Good luck!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

For better or for worse - A sport pilot CFI only needs a drivers license for medical eligibility.