sport pilot using the "Wings Program"

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

bob griffin

sport pilot using the "Wings Program"

Post by bob griffin »

I am a private pilot now flying under Sport pilot rule. I have the 1st 2 hrs done for the Wings Program". How does it work to get the 3 rd hr compleated? Our plane is not equipped with an attitude indicator so I wonder how i can get the hood or instrument training? Instrument training is not required for Sport Pilot but you need it for the Wings program?
Bob Griffin Berne NY
Paul Hamilton

wings verses flight review

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Bob,
I did some research on this and they are pretty specific about instrument time required for the airplane, something you can fly with a hood on. If you want to go this way than you ned to find a different airplane with the intruments to accomplish this.

Talked with the FAA and they are trying to incorporate Sport Pilots and LSA into the wings program, but no date as to when this might happen.

The best and easiest would to have your typical flight review which is only 1 hour flight time (verses 3 hours flight time for the wings program) plus the one hour ground time. You could accomplish this in you own airplane.

best,
paul
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
drseti

Re: sport pilot using the "Wings Program"

Post by drseti »

bob griffin wrote:I am a private pilot now flying under Sport pilot rule. I have the 1st 2 hrs done for the Wings Program". How does it work to get the 3 rd hr compleated?
Bob, a lot has changed since your question was posted. In January 2008, the entire Wings program was restructured. You now need three knowledge and three flight credits (not hours) for each of the three phases of the new Wings (Basic, Advanced, Master). There is a wide choice of activities which satisfy each of the credits, but you must pick from the right categories. In other words, you no longer need an hour of hood time, if you get another approved activity to fill the slot. Details on all of this are at http://FAASafety.gov. You will need to create an account there to participate in the new Wings program; it's all handled via the web now, rather than by using those old cards.

Safe skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US