How to get SPI

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

CharlieTango

How to get SPI

Post by CharlieTango »

Hi Paul,

for the last year and 1/2 i have been trying to set up instruction for my girlfriend in my ctsw. living in the eastern sierra distance is a big issue.

finally i went flying with a local CFI go get the 5 hours he needs to be covered by my insurance. it lasted less than 1 hour before he bowed out.

a problem i didn't anticipate is that for a high time cessna / piper / mooney type cfi the ctsw might be hard to land. that was the case her and the CFI's attitude was that either i'm comfortable with it or not, a little bit of practice and he could have had it in far less than 5 hours.

so i'm now thinking the easier route might be for me to get a SPI rating.

not sure where to start so any advice would be appreciated.
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

i found this old thread in google's cache. i'll do a simple cut and paste of the text and see how readable it is.

===========================================

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:45 am Post subject: being a sport pilot CFI question Reply with quote
what do you need to become a CFI. what ratings do you have to have? and if you become a CFI, what aircraft can you instruct in. i am just a private pilot.

thanks,
glyn
CTflyer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:39 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Glyn - this should give you the details:

http://www.sportpilot.org/questions/afm ... p?faqid=95

Completing those steps will make you a Sport Pilot Flight Instructor. If I had my own LSA I'd love to do the same.

Tom
machman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:36 am Post subject: Reply with quote
I can tell you guys that there is no better way to improve your skill set than to teach it. You have to know the subject inside out and be able to express the concepts verbally. The more you do that the more you understand the dynamics of whats being taught.

Spending a few hundred hours saving your skin from the machinations of ham fisted students forces you to improve.

One of the best things about instructing is learning how to effectively demonstrate the basics of flight. Your cross check improves, you catch minor deviations before they become large deviations and your confidence in yourself and your aircraft soars.

Go for it!!!
glyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:04 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Machman, i couldn't agree more. i am doing it for that very reason. to help aviation and also to improve my skills. i have been flying since 13 and i am now 29 airplanes and helicopters. i love aviation, and flying, i want to share it as much as i can. that has put me in the hole at times though Shocked but well worth it when i younger guy gets out from a free ride and says, ( thanks, you have just changed my life) . a archer can only do so many tricks... Very Happy
glyn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:11 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
there is something that i don't get though. you can be a private pilot and hold a CFI for sport pilot. why no commercial when you are going to charge for services as a CFI. it's that one of the points in having the commercial.
machman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:25 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
glyn wrote:
there is something that i don't get though. you can be a private pilot and hold a CFI for sport pilot. why no commercial when you are going to charge for services as a CFI. it's that one of the points in having the commercial.

Ahhh... there's the rub!

As a non-commercial SP instructor you can't charge for your services! It's more of a friendly thing than a money making proposition. There is no requirement to carry a commercial ticket to be a CFI. However, you still need a commercial and CFI to teach for bucks. The commercial is the key to income, no matter how meager it may be.

If your motivation is to make a living from teaching you've got a hard row to hoe.... been there done that, got the T shirt to prove it. If you want to gain lots of experience and log some time it's a great way to go.

I've logged somewhere in the vicinity of 10,000 hours as an IP (Instructor Pilot) between civilian and military and they were among the most valuable and rewarding hours of my career in flying. Despite the fact that you won't get paid for your efforts you'll gain an invaluable amount of experience and understanding by instructing.

Like I said, go for it!

Mach
CTflyer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:08 am Post subject: Reply with quote
Glyn: " i am doing it for that very reason. to help aviation and also to improve my skills. i have been flying since 13 and i am now 29 airplanes and helicopters. i love aviation, and flying, i want to share it as much as i can."

That is excellent! To have someone instructing sport pilots, just to help aviation and improve your skills - you will be a welcome addition indeed!

As someone once said - go for it! Very Happy

Tom
glyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:21 am Post subject: Reply with quote
yea, being a CFI doesn't get you rich. seen to many of them wish they were doing something else. but heck, to be able to teach someone and fly their airplane. that rocks. you guys know as well as i do that, if you scratch someone's back, they may in turn give you a good rub down. Razz . me and my girlfriend also skydive and some of my free jumps came from them needing a pilot. i really could care less to make money at it, just the enjoyment of watching someone get their ticket. i have helped about 6 people get their PPL along with the help of a CFI. im the buddy that everyone goes to for the ground/air practice.
thanks for the info guys, i do believe i will go for it. Very Happy
machman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:12 am Post subject: Reply with quote
glyn wrote:
yea, being a CFI doesn't get you rich. seen to many of them wish they were doing something else. but heck, to be able to teach someone and fly their airplane. that rocks. you guys know as well as i do that, if you scratch someone's back, they may in turn give you a good rub down. :P . me and my girlfriend also skydive and some of my free jumps came from them needing a pilot. i really could care less to make money at it, just the enjoyment of watching someone get their ticket. i have helped about 6 people get their PPL along with the help of a CFI. im the buddy that everyone goes to for the ground/air practice.
thanks for the info guys, i do believe i will go for it. :D

Even when I was broke, which was often, I was loving it. Mine was the typical route, private, commercial, multi, instrument, CFI, CFII, all the ground instructor ratings and a bunch of acro thrown in for good measure. Ya' get to fly a wide variety of birds, deal with a ton of different temperments and get to snatch your life from the jaws of death on a weekly basis! What could be more fun???

I did the same kinda thing, flying lifts for jumps, but that all ended when my association with the military began. Great fun.
tadel001

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Actually, you do not need a commerical to charge for flight instruction as a Sport Pilot instructor. The FAA carved SPIs out of the traditional framework. This makes sense as the regulations were written so the Ultralight Instructors could transition to SPIs. Of course, they wouldn't have to go get a commerical. Also, SPIs don't need a medical but to get a commerical you do have to have a medical.
glyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:00 am Post subject: Reply with quote
that's interesting,, thanks for the info
Paul Hamilton

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:16 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Because Flight instructors with a Sport Pilot Rating (CFIS not SPI) can charge, do not need a medical, nor commercial and instrument, many privates are going for the CFIS rating. Most have the hours, looking at a LSA to keep them flying "after medical", and want to charge to take people up. Along with the ultralight instructors reansitioning to CFIS, Privates becoming CFI's are the biggest group becoming flight instructors right now.
Post new topic Reply to topic Sport Pilot Talk Forum Index -> Ask The Examiner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: