Private Pilot to Sport Pilot

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

SosLow

Private Pilot to Sport Pilot

Post by SosLow »

I think this is the right place to post this-
I've tried internet searches and can't find anything real clear. Its not a gotcha thing, I just want to understand the regulations clearly.

I hold a private pilot certificate without a current medical. My medical expired prior to 2006- no revocation or denial.

I am returning to flying under sport pilot without a medical- I have no known medical conditions that would make me medically unsafe.

Upon researching part 61 Subpart J specifically 61.303 (a)(2)(ii)(A)(1)- all that stuff is from the table-

and looking at the FAA site which lead me to this: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificat ... ochure.pdf

and looking at the EAA site: https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aviation-inter ... ort-pilots

With appropriate training and logbook endorsements I can resume solo flight and carry a passenger upon completing a BFR.

Sorry for the long intro for my questions, here goes- I don't need to take a new written and have a check-ride with a DPE, right?
The sections (part 61) really don't read in plain enough English for me about what either FAA or EAA posted. What section is it the two entities re referring to? Or is it a policy/practice since sport pilot is essentially subordinate to private pilot and that what a private pilot needs (a BFR, oh and a medical).

Thanks for reading this too long post.
Read
comperini

Re: Private Pilot to Sport Pilot

Post by comperini »

You only need a flight review. You’re limited to the privileges and limitations of sport pilot. That’s it.
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Read,

As Bob said all you need is a flight review. It can even be done in a non light sport aircraft since you are a private pilot, but you can not exercise PIC privileges. I would recommend doing transition training for the light sport aircraft, (they do fly enough different than the old standard GA aircraft), as part of your flight review.

Also since you have been out of flying for a while if you have not done it already you need to get a plastic pilot certificate. This is also a good time to update you permanent mailing address with the FAA if you have moved in the past without letting them know. Both will be required before you can act as PIC.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Bob and Tom are both right on target. I would only add that you are still a Private Pilot, and will remain so as long as the FAA has no cause to rescind your certificate. You are not becoming a Sport Pilot, merely choosing to exercise Sport Pilot privileges.

That said, I cannot overstate the importance of obtaining LSA transition training. A PP or above is perfectly legal to just jump in an LSA and fly, with no type-specific training. But this is not wise, and in fact doing so accounts for a significant fraction of LSA accidents.

My LSA transition curriculum can be found here:

http://avsport.org/about/downsize.htm
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
malexander

Post by malexander »

SosLow wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:25 pm I think this is the right place to post this-
I've tried internet searches and can't find anything real clear. Its not a gotcha thing, I just want to understand the regulations clearly.

I hold a private pilot certificate without a current medical. My medical expired prior to 2006- no revocation or denial.

I am returning to flying under sport pilot without a medical- I have no known medical conditions that would make me medically unsafe.

Upon researching part 61 Subpart J specifically 61.303 (a)(2)(ii)(A)(1)- all that stuff is from the table-

and looking at the FAA site which lead me to this: https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificat ... ochure.pdf

and looking at the EAA site: https://www.eaa.org/eaa/aviation-inter ... ort-pilots

With appropriate training and logbook endorsements I can resume solo flight and carry a passenger upon completing a BFR.

Sorry for the long intro for my questions, here goes- I don't need to take a new written and have a check-ride with a DPE, right?
The sections (part 61) really don't read in plain enough English for me about what either FAA or EAA posted. What section is it the two entities re referring to? Or is it a policy/practice since sport pilot is essentially subordinate to private pilot and that what a private pilot needs (a BFR, oh and a medical).

Thanks for reading this too long post.
Read

Where are you located?
SosLow

Post by SosLow »

So far, I am in about 12 hours of light sport training and having a good time.

This makes the most sense to me:

Bob and Tom are both right on target.
I would only add that you are still a Private Pilot, and will remain so as long as the FAA has no cause to rescind your certificate. You are not becoming a Sport Pilot, merely choosing to exercise Sport Pilot privileges.
Thanks all for the responses. I look forward to more flying and more learning!

I'm in Sacramento.

I haven't learned how to use all of the posting tools yet, but I'll get there.

Read
Ts3794

Post by Ts3794 »

So slow,

Sounds like you are flying an evector from auburn…