Counting PPL time towards CPL

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

AviatorCrafty

Counting PPL time towards CPL

Post by AviatorCrafty »

Had some confusion on what "counts" towards a commercial certificate, gliders in this case. For a recap, these are the requirements of part 61:
(f) For a glider rating. A person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with a glider category rating must log at least -

(1) 25 hours of flight time as a pilot in a glider and that flight time must include at least 100 flights in a glider as pilot in command, including at least -

(i) Three hours of flight training in a glider with an authorized instructor or 10 training flights in a glider with an authorized instructor on the areas of operation listed in § 61.127(b)(6) of this part, including at least 3 training flights in a glider with an authorized instructor in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test; and

(ii) 2 hours of solo flight that include not less than 10 solo flights in a glider on the areas of operation listed in § 61.127(b)(6) of this part;

It had come to my attention that double-dipping time is not allowed by the FAA, since flights done towards private are considered different from commercial. My question lies in what can I count from my private training. Before I got my private I obtained 4.5 hours of solo glider time, 17 PIC/solo flights, and 4.5 hours of dual training. The regs state "25 hours of flight time, and 100 flights as pilot in command", since the 17 solo flights were counted as PIC during my private training, and technically done towards my private, do these not count and I have to do an additional 100 PIC flights post-PPL, in addition to another two hours of solo and three hours of dual? Do I have to fly a whole extra 25 hours post-ppl?
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
3Dreaming

Re: Counting PPL time towards CPL

Post by 3Dreaming »

AviatorCrafty wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:59 pm Had some confusion on what "counts" towards a commercial certificate, gliders in this case. For a recap, these are the requirements of part 61:
(f) For a glider rating. A person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with a glider category rating must log at least -

(1) 25 hours of flight time as a pilot in a glider and that flight time must include at least 100 flights in a glider as pilot in command, including at least -

(i) Three hours of flight training in a glider with an authorized instructor or 10 training flights in a glider with an authorized instructor on the areas of operation listed in § 61.127(b)(6) of this part, including at least 3 training flights in a glider with an authorized instructor in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test; and

(ii) 2 hours of solo flight that include not less than 10 solo flights in a glider on the areas of operation listed in § 61.127(b)(6) of this part;

It had come to my attention that double-dipping time is not allowed by the FAA, since flights done towards private are considered different from commercial. My question lies in what can I count from my private training. Before I got my private I obtained 4.5 hours of solo glider time, 17 PIC/solo flights, and 4.5 hours of dual training. The regs state "25 hours of flight time, and 100 flights as pilot in command", since the 17 solo flights were counted as PIC during my private training, and technically done towards my private, do these not count and I have to do an additional 100 PIC flights post-PPL, in addition to another two hours of solo and three hours of dual? Do I have to fly a whole extra 25 hours post-ppl?
I'm not sure where you get the idea that double dipping is not allowed. There are several places in ones training that can be double or even triple dipped. For example someone working on a PP airplane can do one hour of flight at night doing simulated instrument on a cross country. That hour counts towards the night cross country requirement, part of the three hours of simulated instrument time, and part of the three hors of night time with only one hour of flight.

For the commercial glider the number of flights and hour starts from the beginning with your first glider flight. Your 17 solo flights pre private count towards the 100 total needed.
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

3Dreaming wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:21 pm
AviatorCrafty wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:59 pm Had some confusion on what "counts" towards a commercial certificate, gliders in this case. For a recap, these are the requirements of part 61:

I'm not sure where you get the idea that double dipping is not allowed. There are several places in ones training that can be double or even triple dipped. For example someone working on a PP airplane can do one hour of flight at night doing simulated instrument on a cross country. That hour counts towards the night cross country requirement, part of the three hours of simulated instrument time, and part of the three hors of night time with only one hour of flight.

For the commercial glider the number of flights and hour starts from the beginning with your first glider flight. Your 17 solo flights pre private count towards the 100 total needed.

Ok, thanks for clearing it up. But where I have to have flight time in the areas of commercial it specifies 2 hours of solo consisting of not less than 10 flights, so just go on some solo flights to practice maneuvers then?
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

AviatorCrafty wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 7:47 pm Ok, thanks for clearing it up. But where I have to have flight time in the areas of commercial it specifies 2 hours of solo consisting of not less than 10 flights, so just go on some solo flights to practice maneuvers then?
Okay, this is an area where you have to be specific. Once you are a rated glider pilot you could make all but 10 flights and two hours of the 25 hours and 100 flights with an instructor or passenger on board. If it was an instructor you can log it as instruction received and PIC, and the Instructor can also log it as instruction given. If you look at the required items it is mostly what you do on every flight anyway. So just make sure as you build your flight time in gliders that you do at least 10 flights and two hours solo, and log that you were practicing those required items. You are more likely to be doing solo flights anyway after your rating.