private pilot privileges

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

foresterpoole

Re: private pilot privileges

Post by foresterpoole »

Also covered under § 119.1 if I'm reading correctly. This would exempt certain activities (listed) from applying parts 129, 133, 137, or 139. As I said I'm not a lawyer, in fact from our lawyers point of view this has been interpreted different ways multiple times by different FSDO offices. I'd consult a lawyer and the local FSDO, but it looks possible....
Ed
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I really think you’re fishing.

The governing FAR:

§ 61.113 Private pilot privileges and limitations: Pilot in command.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) through (h) of this section, no person who holds a private pilot certificate may act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying passengers or property for compensation or hire; nor may that person, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft.

Seems clear. Read b through h for narrow exceptions.

Which do not cover me getting paid to ferry a plane. Stipulated I am a Commercial Pilot, but to my knowledge, without at least a Class 2 Medical I cannot exercise Commercial privileges.

Again do, I would love for you to prove me wrong - it would open up opportunities for me to earn some extra income.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

FastEddieB wrote:Which do not cover me getting paid to ferry a plane. Stipulated I am a Commercial Pilot, but to my knowledge, without at least a Class 2 Medical I cannot exercise Commercial privileges.
That is correct. Your pilot privileges is limited based on the level of medical certification you hold. Even if you were ferrying a LSA for hire you would need a second class medical.
Sorry I couldn't resist.