Flying into a Class C airport of entry

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

Wm.Ince

Re: Flying into a Class C airport of entry

Post by Wm.Ince »

MrMorden wrote:
drseti wrote:91.131 (b)(1)(iii) specifically allows Sport Pilots to operate in Class B, provided proper training and endorsements have been accomplished. I think this trumps the AIM.
Whew. I knew the language was in there, just could not remember where.
As for the AIM not being regulatory...care to test that theory by landing at Hartsfield...? :lol:
FAR 61.325 also applies.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

Wm.Ince wrote:FAR 61.325 also applies.
Well, yes, of course - that's the "provided" part. It's also referenced in 91.131.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

lindolo2 wrote:I'm a sport pilot and have a controlled airpace endorsement. I want to fly my LSA into Saint Thomas Island which is Class C. My plane has a transponder and all requirements. The local DPE told us we can not fly into that airport since it is an airport of entry with customs and that we needed at least a Private License with ICAO to fly there. Is it true we can not fly there? It is USA territory. I have looked on the FAR but can't find an answer to this question pertaining to sport pilots.
There is no FAR (that I can find) that prohibits an SP from landing at a point-of-entry airport. I'm aware of a several SPs who flew to/from the Bahama's (the Bahama's changed their regulations to allow SPs in their country as well) and were required to land at a point-of-entry in Florida upon return. I supposed there could be something special in the Virgin Islands but there would typically be something in AFD, FARs or some other published FAA document. I'd suggest calling the FSDO that is responsible for the Virgin Islands: http://www.faa.gov/airports/southern/ab ... fices/#atl

Just curious -- are you flying out of Puerto Rico? And what are you flying?

From AOPA:
Puerto Rico

If you fly from Puerto Rico to the U.S. Virgin Islands, you can fly as a domestic flight with no eAPIS or CBP entry requirements, just fly and land. However, if you fly from the U.S. Virgin Islands to Puerto Rico, you must clear with CBP at an international port. However, you do not file an eAPIS; you file the old CBP Form 178 and request permission and an appointment.
and
Virgin Islands

AOPA has become aware of an issue regarding travel to the U.S. Virgin Islands and points south. U.S. Customs in St. Thomas says that pilots need to file an eAPIS outbound and nothing else. U.S. Customs in St. Croix says that pilots DO NOT need to file an eAPIS, but DO need to go the the CBP office. U.S. Customs headquarters is aware of this discrepancy and is working with the local offices to resolve. In the meantime, it would be wise to contact the specific U.S. Customs offices you intend to use in the area by phone prior to departure or arrival, and to confirm which procedure to use.
dave
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

dstclair wrote:I'm aware of a several SPs who flew to/from the Bahama's (the Bahama's changed their regulations to allow SPs in their country as well) and were required to land at a point-of-entry in Florida upon return.
That was my experience returning from the Bahamas last January. It is also required going in the other direction. Freeport was the closest AOE from PBI.
Aviation Real Estate Broker
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Flocker wrote:
dstclair wrote:I'm aware of a several SPs who flew to/from the Bahama's (the Bahama's changed their regulations to allow SPs in their country as well) and were required to land at a point-of-entry in Florida upon return.
That was my experience returning from the Bahamas last January. It is also required going in the other direction. Freeport was the closest AOE from PBI.
Bahamas, yes - its another country.

Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico - I don't think so - they're US territories.

As I said a few years ago we did NOT have to land at a point-of-entry or clear customs on a non-stop Cirrus flight from Puerto Rico to S FL.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MackAttack

Post by MackAttack »

Flocker, you scofflaw ... *laughing* I'm in the same boat - I hold a PPL but fly under sport privileges, so I think I would be ok strictly speaking as well. But having operated at one of the big Bravo airports (KPHL) in a LSA, I'm not all that keen in operating at another... more blood pressure than I need. Flying through the airspace to airports in the area, no problem. landing or taking off behind an A380 ... not my idea of fun!

Cheers!
drseti

Post by drseti »

eyeflygps wrote:Two year old thread...
Yes, it is - but there's no reason folks can't reactivate old threads if they find the subject relevant.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:
eyeflygps wrote:Two year old thread...
Yes, it is - but there's no reason folks can't reactivate old threads if they find the subject relevant.
Thank you.
For a minute or two, I almost forgot who the real moderator was. :lol:
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

You want the job, Bill? :wink:
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:You want the job, Bill? :wink:
Are you kidding?
I would be fired within two days. :D

Besides that Professor, in all seriousness, I think you do a swell job.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Seconded.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks, Bill and Andy. I couldn't do it without you guys.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US