Questions from the written on the check ride day?

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

rezaf_2000

Questions from the written on the check ride day?

Post by rezaf_2000 »

Here's a question for the examiner. On my written exam, I had a few missed questions, that I can barely remember what they were now. Will on the practical exam day the examiner ask me knowledge questions specifically related to the missed areas on the written test?
200 hours of flight and counting
3Dreaming

Re: Questions from the written on the check ride day?

Post by 3Dreaming »

Maybe. There are codes on the test report that you can use to check the areas where missed questions. Your instructor is required to go over the questions you missed and endorse that he has done that. I don't know about the examiner they use, but the one I use does not look up the codes from the test. He does test to see the applicant posesses the knowledge required to be a Sport Pilot during the oral portion of the test.
drseti

Post by drseti »

When you completed your knowledge test, you should have been given a document which listed not just your score, but also the FAA subject codes for all areas in which you missed questions. Your CFI is required to review those subject areas with you, and so indicate by logbook endorsement. You can be sure that your DPE will quiz you on those specific subject areas.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

I see Tom and I were typing pretty much the same thing at the same time.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rezaf_2000

Post by rezaf_2000 »

Many thanks, I I'll review those topics with the instructor.
200 hours of flight and counting
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

rezaf_2000 wrote:Here's a question for the examiner. On my written exam, I had a few missed questions, that I can barely remember what they were now. Will on the practical exam day the examiner ask me knowledge questions specifically related to the missed areas on the written test?
Absolutely! In fact, the examiners are EXPECTED to retest you in areas you have already shown a deficit on...namely questions you missed. You are supposed to bring those questions and corrected answers with you to the checkride.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CTLSi wrote:
rezaf_2000 wrote:Here's a question for the examiner. On my written exam, I had a few missed questions, that I can barely remember what they were now. Will on the practical exam day the examiner ask me knowledge questions specifically related to the missed areas on the written test?
Absolutely! In fact, the examiners are EXPECTED to retest you in areas you have already shown a deficit on...namely questions you missed. You are supposed to bring those questions and corrected answers with you to the checkride.
Did you include those corrected questions along with a $TIP$ for the examiner when you presented your paperwork for the checkride?
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

3Dreaming wrote:
CTLSi wrote:
Did you include those corrected questions along with a $TIP$ for the examiner when you presented your paperwork for the checkride?
I did bring the fee in check form. The examiner said there would be no checkride without it.

Here are the documents I brought, as requested...

Pilot certificate, medical, picture ID.
FAA written test results with corrected answers for the 3 questions I missed.
My logbook with logged ground and flight instruction, and the endorsements given by my CFI.
Completed and signed Form 8710 form.
Aircraft documents (ARROW), maintenance logs and the Pilot Operating Handbook
Current sectional charts and flight plan for the indicated cross country with W&B calculated (he gave his weight the day before).
Current FAR/AIM and PTS.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CTLSi wrote: I did bring the fee in check form. The examiner said there would be no checkride without it.

My logbook with logged ground and flight instruction, and the endorsements given by my CFI.
Current sectional charts and flight plan for the indicated cross country with W&B calculated (he gave his weight the day before).
Current FAR/AIM and PTS.
I find it odd that you brought corrected answers for the questions you missed, since the FAA doesn't provide you with those questions. All the FAA provides is a code for the subject areas in which you missed questions.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

3Dreaming wrote:l the FAA provides is a code for the subject areas in which you missed questions.
I tend to do well on written tests.

I remember one, I forget which one, but I got a 99 - missed just one question.

The code was "Lift vs. Drag in Turns".

I can't for the life of me imagine missing a question on that. Weather, FAR's, stuff like that, sure. Not basic flying stuff.

Anyway, an examiner seeing a 99 tends to give a fairly quick oral, I've found.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote:Anyway, an examiner seeing a 99 tends to give a fairly quick oral, I've found.
I had one (but sadly, only one) student who missed not a single question. Now, the FARs require that I endorse the student's logbook to the effect that I have reviewed with him or her all the subject areas in which questions were missed. So, I gave this student the standard endorsement, affirming that we had together "reviewed all zero subject areas in which he was found deficient on his knowledge test."

When the DPE read that, the oral exam was essentially over.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

3Dreaming wrote:
CTLSi wrote: I did bring the fee in check form. The examiner said there would be no checkride without it.

Current FAR/AIM and PTS.
I find it odd that you brought corrected answers for the questions you missed, since the FAA doesn't provide you with those questions. All the FAA provides is a code for the subject areas in which you missed questions.
The 'code' matches the on-line practice test banks. It's easy to look them up by that code. In any case, the examiner wanted to see the ones missed, he was provided those....since I only missed three, he seemed satisfied to ask a general question about the VOR question I missed.

I do not have a VHF nav/comm receiver in my plane. I use a Garmin 796 WAAS GPS. And I have all Dynon glass so I never fly with steam gauges. So I had to study those things in virtual mode. Missing just three considering a lot of questions were on steams and VOR I thought was pretty good.
Last edited by CTLSi on Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Missing three is more than "pretty good". :)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CTLSi wrote: Guess you don't know the 'code' matches the on-line practice test banks. It's easy to look them up by that code. In any case, the examiner wanted to see the ones missed, he was provided those....since I only missed three, he seemed satisfied to ask a general question about the VOR question I missed.

I do not have a VHF nav/comm receiver in my plane. I use a Garmin 796 WAAS GPS. And I have all Dynon glass so I never fly with steam gauges. So I had to study those things in virtual mode. Missing just three considering a lot of questions were on steams and VOR I thought was pretty good.
I know quite well where to find the question pool for the FAA codes. I have reviewed the questions missed by students like you several times, so I could endorse them to take their checkride.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.