FPNA Capetown

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

busted

FPNA Capetown

Post by busted »

The capetown is a SLSA amphip. Now if I wanted to give seaplane rides I was told you just need to be under part 91 and that just means you need to submit to random drug test. I do have single engine sea and a commercial. So are there other hurdles in the way?
drseti

Re: FPNA Capetown

Post by drseti »

I'm pretty sure you'd need a current FAA medical if giving rides for a fee, since that is not allowed when exercising Sport Pilot privileges (to which you are restricted with the driver's license medical). But an additional complication is that commercial operations in an SLSA are restricted to flight instruction and glider towing. This would be a commercial operation, so probanly only allowed in a certified aircraft. (though you might be able to get a LoDA from your local FSDO). Further, even if allowed in an SLSA, you would now be required to have a condition inspection every 100 hours.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

One apparent exception is Young Eagle flights.

EAA has stated its fine, and I have not heard of the FAA voicing any concerns.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

A SLSA can only be used commercially for instruction, rental, and towing of a light sport or ultralight glider. You can not charge for rides in a SLSA unless you are doing it as instructional flights.
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

FastEddieB wrote:One apparent exception is Young Eagle flights.

EAA has stated its fine, and I have not heard of the FAA voicing any concerns.
Wasn't there just a ruling about receiving reimbursements for YE or other intro to aviation events?
- Bruce
drseti

Post by drseti »

The ruling, as I understands it, deals only with being reimbursed for (or comped) fuel when doing Young Eagles flights. But I was also told that YE requires flights to be conducted in certified aircraft. That would seem to exclude SLSA, ELSA,mor in fact any experimental (which is odd, considering what the E in EAA stands for). IDK of this is an EAA policy, or just one of my local chapter.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »