Took my checkride.....

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

GravityKnight

Took my checkride.....

Post by GravityKnight »

3rd time scheduling it... had to cancel a few times due to weather, and then my examiner's plane breaking down several states away.. today we finally got a chance to get together..

The oral was easier than expected. I had to look up 1 question. I was worried about this part of the test, ended up being a fun time talking about flying/airplanes/regs etc. Everything he asked was in the material I had covered (I posted in this section... since I used the Sport Pilot Checkride prep book that Paul Hamilton put out.. very thorough, would recommend 100%). Except the one question about how I knew a particular airport had fueling services by looking at the sectional (I had referred to the AF/D to check as a possible fuel stop on my cross country planning). I had to look it up, I didn't remember the little square dealies poking out on 3 sides. No bid deal....

Flying.. my first takeoff was not real swell. I was nervous and just plain behind the airplane. About 5 minutes into the flight my nerves calmed and I was back in real control and from that point on it was fine. Not my best flying by any means, but not bad either and within standards etc.

I took my ride with Drew Chitiea out of Englewood, CO. If anyone ever gets the chance to even meet Drew, please take the opportunity. Drew is a heck of a nice guy, made the testing environment about as comfortable as one could, and was 100% fair. He is also nearly a legend in aviation, over 14,000 hours of flying, experience flying over 180 aircraft, military service, war stories that are the real deal (shot down in a helicopter twice)... and a pretty darn good story about loosing 2 of 3 blades in a LSA during a checkride about a year ago. I read about this online and asked him to tell the story, it was pretty good! I don't remember what kind of LSA, it was a brand I'm not familiar with... but it made for a good story, some first hand experience that IMO was worth a lot to hear about, and how the situation was handled.

Anyway... it's pretty exciting, and a relief at the same time. I now have my ticket to.... keep on learning :)

Todd
RANS S6S 116 wing w/ VGs
114hp zipper rotax 912uls | rotax airbox / custom intake
72" KOOL Scimitar | custom twin exhaust setup
21x8 mains | 18x6 nose / custom fork
MGL avionics | Twin Oil Coolers | other goodies
FlyingForFun

Re: Took my checkride.....

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

'Way to Go! 'ponder this...
in the USA: (approx)
850,000 Lawyers
650,000 Physicians/Surgeons
600,000 Pilots
200,000 Private pilots
??? current and active
85% of those who start, don't finish.
It's a small club, filled with outstanding people!
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Congratulations, Todd. Enjoy that first flight with a good friend or family member!
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Right after passing my checkride in a C150/152, I got checked out in a C172.

My first passengers were my parents, on a short hop from Opa Locka, FL to West Palm Beach and return.

I was pleasantly surprised at the faith they had in me.

In any case, stay active in the forums, and keep reading everything you can on aviation. After 35+ years at this game I'm still learning (and relearning) stuff all the time!

Good job, and welcome to the club. If your travels ever take you east, be sure to stop by and say hi and I'll buy you a meal at the local Copperhill, TN Mexican place.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
GravityKnight

Post by GravityKnight »

FastEddieB wrote:Right after passing my checkride in a C150/152, I got checked out in a C172.

My first passengers were my parents, on a short hop from Opa Locka, FL to West Palm Beach and return.

I was pleasantly surprised at the faith they had in me.

In any case, stay active in the forums, and keep reading everything you can on aviation. After 35+ years at this game I'm still learning (and relearning) stuff all the time!

Good job, and welcome to the club. If your travels ever take you east, be sure to stop by and say hi and I'll buy you a meal at the local Copperhill, TN Mexican place.
Thanks for sharing. Thanks! thats a great offer :)

Jack Tyler wrote:Congratulations, Todd. Enjoy that first flight with a good friend or family member!
Thank you!
Going to take Dad up first.. he's a pilot, though he hasn't flown in 15 years.. but a good asset to have a long!

ct4me wrote:'Way to Go! 'ponder this...

in the USA: (approx)
850,000 Lawyers
650,000 Physicians/Surgeons
600,000 Pilots
200,000 Private pilots
??? current and active
85% of those who start, don't finish.
It's a small club, filled with outstanding people!

Awesome statistics!! it is in deed an awesome club to be a part of!
FlyingForFun wrote:Congratulations.
thank you!!
RANS S6S 116 wing w/ VGs
drseti

Post by drseti »

GravityKnight wrote:"You can build a mile of highway, and you can go one mile, but if you build a mile long runway, you can go anywhere in the world"
Been wanting to respond to this:

"You can build a mile of highway, and you can go one mile, but if you build a mile long runway, you can spend all your time driving to and from the airport."
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

drseti wrote:
GravityKnight wrote:"You can build a mile of highway, and you can go one mile, but if you build a mile long runway, you can go anywhere in the world"

"You can build a mile of highway, and you can go one mile, but if you build a mile long runway, you can spend all your time driving to and from the airport."
If there's fuel available.
- Bruce
nbjeeptj

Post by nbjeeptj »

I would like to know if the dude that lost most of his prop, passed his check ride? Congrats on passing yours!
Flocker

Post by Flocker »

drseti wrote:

LOL
Aviation Real Estate Broker
GravityKnight

Post by GravityKnight »

nbjeeptj wrote:I would like to know if the dude that lost most of his prop, passed his check ride? Congrats on passing yours!
He did!!

Drew said they had done all their maneuvers, were just finishing the last one before heading back in for landings when it happened. After the whole thing was over, and they were all standing around in the field.. the guys asked him: "well... did I pass??!!" He said, yea, I think the way you handled that covers some landings... you pass!!

lol

haha!!... yea, this is true.

well... my runway is about 75ft from my front door. Too bad there is no airplane around to fly off of it yet :(
RANS S6S 116 wing w/ VGs