TINY Sport Pilot Examiners

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

Windknot

TINY Sport Pilot Examiners

Post by Windknot »

I need to find a DPE that does sport pilot, tailwheel and weighs less than 140 pounds.

Anybody know of a little tiny tailwheel DPE?
Early time Sport Pilot Student after 40 years of dreaming!!!! Now I need to find a plane I fit in!!!
designrs

Post by designrs »

Damm!! I always tried to encourage my wife to get into aviation for this exact reason as she is only 90 pounds! Unfortunately she did not have the stomach for it.

:cry:
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Call your local FSDO. They should know al the DPE's in the area.
Windknot

Post by Windknot »

3Dreaming wrote:Call your local FSDO. They should know al the DPE's in the area.
Ive contacted both FSDOs in the State of Michigan - contacted EVERY DPE sport pilot in the state - they either dont do tailwheel (most) and ALL are over 170+

I either have to train in the plane that I'll be flying after getting my ticket a Taylorcraft @$53/hour DUAL DRY) and then TRANSITION in a CTSW or Jabiru J250 at $160-180/hour DUAL WET

OR....I can DPE SHOP and find someone who does DPE Sport Pilot, Tailwheel AND is tiny small - pay their expenses for car (if close) or find a cheap airfare round trip.
Early time Sport Pilot Student after 40 years of dreaming!!!! Now I need to find a plane I fit in!!!
drseti

Post by drseti »

Maybe you could just lose 30 pounds, and go with a 170 pound DPE...
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Windknot

Post by Windknot »

I could cut off a foot, but then the prosthetic would probably just weigh as much as the foot.
drseti

Post by drseti »

If you flew an Ercoupe, you wouldn't need the prosthetic.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

Maybe contact a big tailwheel manufacturer like CubCrafters for a DPE examiner referral. Perhaps they have known of others in similar situations as yourself.
Last edited by designrs on Fri May 04, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windknot

Post by Windknot »

But I'd still need the tiny examiner - My shoulders would take up most of cabin. (I was the guy that whenever we did a search warrant, I kicked, shouldered or rammed the door) I'm short and WIDE and at 45, I'm still built like a brick shithouse.......

Been hoping for a nice curable cancer to decimate my body for 6 or 8 months....everyone is always telling me to lose weight, but unless something rakes my muscles to atrophy, that aint happening.
Windknot

Post by Windknot »

designrs wrote:Maybe contact a big tailwheel manufacturer like CubCrafters for a DPE examiner referral. Perhaps they have known of others in similar situations as yourself.
That's a good idea - hell....I've called everyone else!!! (and maybe I can scam a "discovery ride" in a carbon cub <shudder>) Great....now I'm going to be dreaming about Carbon Cubs tonight!!!!

YEEEHHAA!!!
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

You might try to contact Steve Krog with the Cub Club. He might have an idea. He does tailwheel and sport pilot training in J-3 Cubs. Some of them are are short on useful load too. You might also try to find someone with a Taylorcraft that has had a gross weight increase and a bigger engine.
I'll also ask over on the Taylorcraft forum for you.
comperini

Post by comperini »

3Dreaming wrote:Call your local FSDO. They should know al the DPE's in the area.
They should, but they don't. Its been my experience that local FSDOs generally don't know about the DPEs that were assigned directly by AFS-610. FSDOs tend to only know about the examiners they created.

Here's the AFS-610 list: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificate ... aminer.pdf
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
FrankR

Re: TINY Sport Pilot Examiners

Post by FrankR »

Windknot,

Did you ever find your DPE?

I think Zenda Lies in NC is 140.

v/r,
Frank
Fayetteville, NC
Windknot

Post by Windknot »

FrankR wrote:Windknot,

Did you ever find your DPE?

I think Zenda Lies in NC is 140.

v/r,
Frank - I think I just did. :)

Thanks for the tip - Zenda Liess

For anyone looking for a lil' DPE, here's here info:

http://flyhighlexington.com/services/fa ... -examiner/
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

A pretty funny topic. All of my instructors were slender, but the DPE was, shall we say, husky. He gave me his weight and it was clear that I'd have to A) leave a little fuel on the ground and B) get checked out by my equally husky CFII neighbor at the field as I had never flown the airplane at gross weight before.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.