Sport Pilot CFI

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

restlinbaum

Sport Pilot CFI

Post by restlinbaum »

Hello Paul, I am going to take my sport pilot CFI next week as was wondering if you could give me some areas that need extra attention?

Ray
Ray Estlinbaum, CFI-S
drseti

Post by drseti »

Ray, the key to the CFI practical is that you need to show your abilities as a teacher, not a pilot. Your DPE will probably play dumb student, and make lots of flying mistakes. Your challenge is to talk him or her safely through the appropriate recovery techniques, without touching the controls. You will also be expected to prepare an appropriate lesson plan on the spot, for a subject of the DPE's choosing. Currently, the FAA is putting a lot of emphasis on airspace, and on runway incursions. So, expect to have to instruct the examiner in these areas.

Best of luck on your practical. And thanks for making the effort; we can always use more good instructors.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
restlinbaum

Post by restlinbaum »

Thanks Paul, I am working on my lesson plans and will be doing a mock check ride with my CFI the day before the real test just to make sure there are no issues. I will let you know how it goes.
Ray Estlinbaum, CFI-S
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

In doing CFI checkrides during the oral, overall, I find the applicant has the most trouble doing the mandatory endorsements section. I have a complete and comprehensive list you should have at:
http://sport-pilot-training.com/category/endorsements/

In the oral and the flight I ask questions such as “Teach me” about stalls, spins, airspace, aerodynamic forces, how to take off, performance maneuver, cross wind landing, etc………

Overall, In my “Sport Pilot Checkride” book I have designed Part 3 specifically for applicants taking the CFIS checkride. This book is written to guide you through this checkride. Make sure you download the update for this book at:
http://www.ap-stores.com/t-updates.aspx

As an instructor applicent during a checkride, be ready to take the controls when the mock student/examiner performs a maneuver that needs to be corrected before exceeding the limitations of the aircraft. Additionally, I typically do a maneuver just out of tolerance and ask if this would be acceptable during a proficiency check. Do not be afraid to give your honest opinion since the examiner is trying to see if you can evaluate your ability to recognize and correct.
Hopefully this will be helpful.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
restlinbaum

Post by restlinbaum »

Thank you Paul, this is very good information I will use. I take my test Friday.
Ray Estlinbaum, CFI-S
drseti

Post by drseti »

Best of luck on Friday, Ray. I know you'll do great.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
restlinbaum

Post by restlinbaum »

Well of course on the perfect day to fly the DPE had to cancel :( , but I did get to fly and work on my maneuvers :lol:
Ray Estlinbaum, CFI-S
restlinbaum

Post by restlinbaum »

I passed my CFI-S check ride yesterday!! :D :D
Just wanted to say thank you Paul for the great info and materials.
Ray
Ray Estlinbaum, CFI-S
drseti

Post by drseti »

restlinbaum wrote:I passed my CFI-S check ride yesterday!!
Yay! Congratulations, Ray. Now, go out there and mint a bunch of new Sport Pilots.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
restlinbaum

Post by restlinbaum »

I am going to do my best.
Ray Estlinbaum, CFI-S
stevenr

Post by stevenr »

I have a PP, no medical, and am flying LSA. Can I train for, and get a CFI Sport?

Where do I look for the course/regs?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

stevenr wrote:I have a PP, no medical, and am flying LSA. Can I train for, and get a CFI Sport?

Where do I look for the course/regs?
Yes!! the regs start at 61.401. Also you would want to download or pick up a copy of the practical test standards.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

There are many resources for training for a CFIS.

Here is what I have put together to make this easiest for you:
http://sport-pilot-training.com/sport-p ... applicant/

http://lsapilot.beasportpilot.com/airpl ... nstructor/
Hope this helps
Paul H
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
busted

Re: Sport Pilot CFI

Post by busted »

Paul....... My CFI has expired.... would I have to take the spin training again to be a CFIS? thank you
Paul Hamilton

Re: Sport Pilot CFI

Post by Paul Hamilton »

No spin training AGAIN needed. You already have this.