Sport Pilot CFI

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

drseti

Re: Sport Pilot CFI

Post by drseti »

FlyingForFun wrote:When I started, we charged $5 per hour. I'm sure you remember those days Paul.
Except, if you're old enough to have charged that, you're too old to remember. :(
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

FlyingForFun wrote:Or the employer charges whatever and pays the instructor a salary or hourly rate that could be different than what the student pays for the instructor.
True fact. I openly admit to withholding 10% of what the student pays, for overhead. The instructor gets the remaining 90%.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I remember Executive Carriers at Opa Locka offering C150's for $9.90/hr wet if you bought a 10 hour block.

I think.

Or I may have just dreamt that.

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

FlyingForFun wrote:When I started as a student in 1962, the Tri-Champ 7FC
Why, you're just a young kid. Mine was a 7AC Champ, in 1961. And it was a buck less. (You paid extra for that nosewheel.)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

Ahhhhhh, you guys make me feel young! 7AC out of Slatington, PA in '67. I loved to take the door off on a warm summer morning and watch the traffic pass me traveling on Rt309. Learned how to hand prop it by myself. ( I was young and foolish.)
Dave
jafra98

Post by jafra98 »

I have about 5 hours in a C-162 and about 3 hours in a Cub. Can you finish the Sport Pilot CFI in one week if you do the training full time??? Right now I'm right seat proficient......
Comm Ins SEL HP TW
AGI/IGI
drseti

Post by drseti »

deltafox wrote:( I was young and foolish.)
As opposed to now (old and foolish)? :wink:
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

jafra98 wrote: Right now I'm right seat proficient......
I presume that, in the Cub, you're front seat proficient? :wink:
Can you finish the Sport Pilot CFI in one week if you do the training full time???
Assuming you've already passed your FOI and Aeronautics writtens, that's completely practical. Unless you have lots of tailwheel experience, you'd do best taking your checkride in something with a nosewheel. You don't say what your flying or teaching background might be. The CFI practical is more about teaching than it is about flying.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Alabassa

Post by Alabassa »

Hello, my name is Claudio, I live in Rome Italy, I'm a pilot and fly with my light aircraft, sorry because I speak little English, I hope to learn more words here, in april 2014 I will came in Miami and Tampa where I hope of change the my licenze Italian PPL in FAA. If you have advice I will be thankful.
ciao
claudio