Private Pilot Knowledge test used for Sport

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

wingsaircharter

Private Pilot Knowledge test used for Sport

Post by wingsaircharter »

I am waiting for the final answer from the FSDO to this question but I am wondering if you have ever gotten an opinion in from your FSDO.

1. Can the Private Pilot knowledge test be used for a Sport Pilot check ride? My FSDO's answer is yes.

2. Can you use the Private Pilot knowledge test results for the Sport Pilot checkride and then, with-in 24 calendar months, use the same results for a Private Pilot checkride? Still waiting for a final answer from the FSDO but leaning toward yes.
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

With all due respect, I believe the FSDO is wrong on question 1.

FAR 61.307 says "Knowledge test. You must pass a knowledge test on the applicable aeronautical knowledge areas listed in §61.309. "

FAR61.309(a) says "What aeronautical knowledge must I have to apply for a sport pilot certificate?]

[Except as specified in §61.329, to apply for a sport pilot certificate you must receive and log ground training from an authorized instructor or complete a home-study course on the following aeronautical knowledge areas:
(a) Applicable regulations of this chapter that relate to sport pilot privileges, limits, and flight operations. " Snip...

There are no questions on the PP knowledge test regarding sport pilot privileges, limits, and flight operations so it does not fulfill the requirements of 61.307.

If you are determined to go this route, I'd want a written statement from both the FSDO examiner and your future DPE stating that it is acceptable.
fredg

Post by fredg »

From the EAA Sport Pilot website (http://www.sportpilot.org/questions/afm ... p?faqid=41):

Question :
I am a student private pilot and have already passed the written test for a private pilot license. My test results are still valid. Can I use the private pilot written to satisfy the written test requirement for earning my sport pilot license?

Answer :
No. The FAA has stated that a student pilot who has already passed a private pilot knowledge test cannot use that knowledge test to meet sport pilot. The sport pilot knowledge test is specifically focused on the regulations, operations, privileges, and limitations of the sport pilot, so the FAA will require a sport pilot applicant to take the specific sport pilot test.

I don't know if this is current or not, but it does suggest that some verification of the FSDO opinion is a good idea.
FredG
Iowa City
drseti

Post by drseti »

This is yet another example of something mentioned from time to time on other threads: most FSDOs are totally ignorant of the Sport Pilot and LSA rules. If you want anything straight from the FAA, go to the Light Sport Branch (610), not your local FSDO! The phone number there is (405) 954-6400.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
comperini

Post by comperini »

drseti wrote:... most FSDOs are totally ignorant of the Sport Pilot and LSA rules.
No kidding! I shake my head every time I hear of the latest wrong answer being given by some FSDO. And they appear to be their own little kingdoms, that don't feel the need to actually check their own answers.

FAA Order 8900.2 is the examiner's handbook. In it, you'll find:

(1) Pilot applicants must pass the appropriate knowledge test (Commercial, for commercial applicants, private for private applicants, etc). From Chapter 7, Section 2, paragraph 24.a, (page 7-32)

(2) Sport Pilot applicants must pass the appropriate sport pilot knowledge test. Chapter 7, Section 7, paragraph 62.c (page 7-74)

(3) The only "exception" to the rule, is that recreational pilot applicants may use the private pilot knowledge test instead. Chapter 7, Section 6, paragraph 58.d (page 7-67)
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
wingsaircharter

Post by wingsaircharter »

Good Info. Now I can go to the FSDO and say what about this.... Thanks.