Flying Ercoupes and BFR

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

RHsport

Flying Ercoupes and BFR

Post by RHsport »

Hi Paul

I currently have a Sport Pilot Certificate for 3 control aircraft with over 110 hours within a 2 year period. I plan to purchase and fly a 2 control Ercoupe (no rudder pedals) , I intend to fly more than 50 hours with it the next 14 months when my Bi-annual Flight review is due in June. Would it affect my BFR and ratings when I show up with a 2 -control Ercoupe.
Would it cancel my 3-control ratings?

Thanks
RHSPORT
:?:
Rh
drseti

Re: Flying Ercoupes and BFR

Post by drseti »

RHsport wrote:Would it cancel my 3-control ratings?
Absolutely not, Sport. Once you've earned a rating in a given category and class of aircraft, it's yours forever (unless you do something to tick off the FAA, and they revoke it!) You can take your flight review in any aircraft for which you are rated. Since there is no restriction on your license, you can take a flight review with or without rudder pedals -- your choice -- as long as the aircraft is either an LSA or a Sport Pilot eligible certified aircraft. (Of course, unless you have a tailwheel endorsement, you'd need to take your flight review in a plane with a tricycle landing gear. Don't worry, the Ercoupe is such a plane!)

That said, it would be to your advantage to find a flight instructor who is familiar with the Ercoupe, both for some transition training (they have a few quirks that you will want to learn) and for your flight reviews. I'd recommend that you join the Ercoupe Owner's Club. They list qualified 'Coupe CFIs on their website.

Feel free to come up to Lock Haven and do your 'Coupe training and flight review with me!

Safe skies,
Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
RHsport

Ercoupe and BFR

Post by RHsport »

Paul

Thanks for the quick reply. My contract with the LSA that I currently share ends on April. I did have a similar answer from a Private Pilot CFI, so your second opinion definetly confirms it. I always liked Ercoupes with its low wing and Certified Aircraft maintenance that A&P can work on.

Thanks

Ozzie
:D
Rh
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

Well said Paul,
Paul H
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites