Another Question About Short Field Landing

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

drseti

Post by drseti »

jnmeade wrote:200' is 200' and that or better should be your training standard.
Actually, when I do a final phase check, I expect my students to exceed the PTS requirements by a factor of two. So, if the PTS says 200 feet, I want the student to be able to demonstrate 100 feet to me. That way, if nerves set in on the practical exam (they always do) and the student can't quite meet his or her personal standards, the PTS requirements will still be met.

(Same goes for altitude, airspeed, and heading standards. The PTS numbers are readily achievable, if the student has already trained to be twice as precise as that.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

There is a big misunderstanding about what a sport pilot is. Instructors please read the PTS introduction the FAA has required the examiners and CFI's to administer. If any one is training someone and recommending them to the examiner for a checkride at the "novice" level, this needs to be fixed by the instructor and examiner. This is a problem. Students should demand to be trained to "demonstrate mastery of the aircraft" as stated in the PTS introduction (see below) before their checkride.

There is no difference in the piloting skills between a private or sport pilot in the PTS standards. Private pilots are simply trained with additional tasks such as night flying, VOR and airspace. They both must fly that aircraft with the same stick and rudder skills.

I have a direct comparison of the PTS standards word for word, task by task at:
http://sport-pilot-training.com/private ... specifics/

So there is no misunderstanding here it is from the PTS page 13 the CFI and Examiner must go by:

Initial Check—Sport Pilot—Satisfactory Performance
Satisfactory performance of TASKs to meet the requirements for sport pilot certification are based on the applicant’s ability to safely:
1. perform the TASKs specified in the AREAS OF OPERATION for the certificate or privileges sought within the approved standards;
2. demonstrate mastery of the aircraft with the successful outcome of each TASK performed never seriously in doubt;
3. demonstrate satisfactory proficiency and competency within the approved standards;
4. demonstrate sound judgment in aeronautical decision making/risk management; and
5. demonstrate single-pilot competence in an aircraft with a single pilot station (if applicable).

The following are typical areas of unsatisfactory performance and grounds for disqualification.
1. Any action or lack of action by the applicant that requires corrective intervention by the examiner to maintain safe flight.
2. Failure to use proper and effective visual scanning techniques to clear the area before and while performing maneuvers.
3. Consistently exceeding tolerances stated in the Objectives.
4. Failure to take prompt corrective action when tolerances are exceeded.

Please --- all CFI’s, Examiners, pilots and students train and be trained to be the master of the aircraft as we are all required.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites