LSA and Experimental Stall Speeds

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

dstclair

Post by dstclair »

This is somewhat irrelevant to a SP but a certified sport-pilot eligible plane may be flown IFR if properly equipped by an appropriately rated pilot. ASTM doesn't have an IFR standard for LSA at this point.
dave
comperini

Post by comperini »

dstclair wrote:This is somewhat irrelevant to a SP but a certified sport-pilot eligible plane may be flown IFR if properly equipped by an appropriately rated pilot. ASTM doesn't have an IFR standard for LSA at this point.
Unless its certificated in the S-LSA category, and the manufacturer says "no" to IFR flying (or night flying for that matter).
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
3Dreaming

Re: LSA and Experimental Stall Speeds

Post by 3Dreaming »

comperini wrote:
drseti wrote: This does not make it an LSA.
Why wouldn't it? 14 CFR 1.1 defines a light sport aircraft, and pretty much says that any aircraft (regardless of how its certificated) is a light sport aircraft, if it meets all the requirements as defined there.
You are correct that CFR 1.1 lumps them all together, but other parts of the CFR's distinguish between Standard catagory, S-LSA, and E-LSA. The way the aircraft is certified makes a big difference in how and who can maintain the aircraft. I think the correct way to say it is it meets the requirements of a Light Sport Aircraft, because that is what the sport pilot needs.
drseti

Post by drseti »

comperini wrote:I just like keeping the number of terms to a minimum. That's my only reason for "voting" for the use of the term light-sport aircraft when referring to anything that meets that definition.
Bob, what you say makes perfect sense -- from the pilot's perspective. The reason I emphasized the different terms is that it makes a big difference from a maintenance point of view. I've had students go for the LSA repairman certificate, thinking they could use that to work on their Champ, Cub, or 'Coupe. Not so! :cry:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
comperini

Post by comperini »

drseti wrote: I've had students go for the LSA repairman certificate, thinking they could use that to work on their Champ, Cub, or 'Coupe. Not so! :cry:
I hear ya! I've seen the same thing, with people who confuse the light-sport repairman certificate with the repairman certficate issued for an amateur-built plane, thinking they are interchangable.
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com