A flaw in the sport pilot regs

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

N918KT

A flaw in the sport pilot regs

Post by N918KT »

I know this for a little while now but I've noticed that there may be a flaw in the sport pilot regs. Now it says that student sport pilots get their sport pilot certificate at age 17. But to be a sport pilot you need a driver's license as medical. However in my state you get your basic driver's license at age 18. Now do you see the flaw? So sport pilots in some states such as the one I live in have to wait until 18 to get a sport pilot certificate (I'm 19 though).

However, you can get a provisional driver's license at age 17. So can sport pilots fly with a provisional driver's license instead of a basic driver's license? I see nothing in the regs that SPs have to have a basic or regular driver's license, just a driver's license in general.
drseti

Re: A flaw in the sport pilot regs

Post by drseti »

N918KT wrote: can sport pilots fly with a provisional driver's license instead of a basic driver's license?
If it's a photo ID and lists any medical limitations, I don't see why not.

BTW, you need that driver's license or medical certificate (along with a a Student Pilot Certificate) to solo. Under Sport Pilot rules you can do that at 16, and get licensed at 17. So, at what age can you get that provisional driver's license in your state?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

At age 16 you can get a driver's permit and at age 17 you can get a provisional license.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

If you can not get a valid drivers license need a valid medical get an FAA medical since there is no mimimun age if you want to fly solo at age 16 without a drivers license.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
theoarno

Post by theoarno »

I am glad I don't live in your area. I think it is reckless to the point of criminal to allow 17 year olds to drive automobiles. What are they thinking?
RyanShort1

Post by RyanShort1 »

theoarno wrote:I am glad I don't live in your area. I think it is reckless to the point of criminal to allow 17 year olds to drive automobiles. What are they thinking?
And that from a fellow Texan? I'm embarrassed. All the farm kids learn to drive a lot younger than that around here. It's just parents who aren't good parents that's the real problem. If you teach your kids responsibility and instill in them an understanding that actions have consequences it isn't so bad.

Ryan
Independent Flight Instructor at http://www.TexasTailwheel.com. Come fly tailwheel LSA's.
Paul Hamilton

Post by Paul Hamilton »

I built my first wing and attempted flight before I was old enough to drive a car in upstate NY. Great learning experience. I think “learning to fly” age depends on individual, drive and upbringing.
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.
See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites